vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WhereRWe? & RULost2? Caching Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Oh man, that sounds good to me. At work, late at night, a crowd would gather to watch me eat. I like the unusual stuff.
    Sheesh! I'll bet you watch "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel all the time! LOL!

We went to the fireworks show at the Hilton Hawaiian Village tonight, next door to our hotel. Seems like that is the place to be on this end of Waikiki on Friday night! People departed in EVERY direction after the show.

Sheesh! Oahu was great, but the "Big Island" Hawaii is better. If I had to give one bit of advice to anyone planning a trip to Hawaii, I suggest spending 3 days on Oahu and the rest of the vacation on this island. So much bigger and so much more to see!

Seems like the only vehicles the rental car agencies have are either a PT Cruiser or a Jeep Wrangler (I got the Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon. Can I join Team ORCA now?)

Discovered a long forgotten fruit today - the Rambutan. I'd had these 39 years ago in Vietnam, but never knew the name. We went to an open-air market today, and I saw these and was fingering one when the owner asked if I'd like to try one. As soon as he peeled it, I knew I'd had it before and loved it. I bought a pound, then discovered that neither RULost2? or son James liked them. So I gotta eat a lot of rambutans tomorrow. Along with the pound of bananas and the pineapple. Life it tough in the tropics...

Only did a couple of caches today. One - an Earthcache - was in the Volcanoes National Park. I'll post pictures later. The other was near a huge banyan tree (the one where Tarzan always used the hanging vines to travel from tree to tree). It's a big tree, believe me!

Tomorrow is the last day before we return home, so we're going to Kona to tour the coffee plantations and the Kona brewery (since I've been drinking their stuff most of the trip. LOL!)

Today's brew: Mauna Kea Pale Ale.

Very cool.

It was just supposed to rain today. I was coming back from Calais down Rt. 9 and got caught in dense fog, heavy rain and whiteouts that were leaving several inches of snow on the road.

Sounds better there.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    It was just supposed to rain today. I was coming back from Calais down Rt. 9 and got caught in dense fog, heavy rain and whiteouts that were leaving several inches of snow on the road.

Sounds better there.
    When we woke up this morning, the temperature here - 3500 feet up Moana Loa - was 65 degrees. We headed down the mountain along the "Chain of Craters Road". By the time we got to sea level, the temperature was 91 degrees! LOL!

But believe it or not, on two of the Hawaiian islands, they actually have skiing in winter.

I'm enjoying your travelogue WhereRWe . . . thanks for sharing.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Hawaii is my son and daughter-in-law's favorite place to vacation - they have gone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Hawaii is my son and daughter-in-law's favorite place to vacation - they have gone twice.
    "Hawaii" the state, or "Hawaii" the island! Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't spend any time in Oahu on a future trip. The area around Hilo is a lot like Waikiki - small shops, etc. - but a lot less crowded. We're going to visit Kona today. coffee, anyone? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    "Hawaii" the state, or "Hawaii" the island! Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't spend any time in Oahu on a future trip. The area around Hilo is a lot like Waikiki - small shops, etc. - but a lot less crowded. We're going to visit Kona today. coffee, anyone? LOL!
    Not sure exactly which islands they have visited. I know last visit they were racing the storm surge to get to the airport to ensure they made their flight for their next destination island. Last visit they stayed in B&Bs and loved learning for the folks who ran them.

Enjoy the rest of your visit to our 50th State. Someday I dream of going there.

Default Sounds fun to me!

Thanks for sharing your travels with us. I've never been to Hawaii, hope to go by boat sometime if I can ever afford to retire. When you get back to Maine it would be great if you lay out the must see and ought to avoids for future travellers. I know you had military accomodations but did you find things expensive or is it "off season" right now?

And didn't you "promise" to upload some pictures of hula dancers?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    When you get back to Maine it would be great if you lay out the must see and ought to avoids for future travellers. I know you had military accomodations but did you find things expensive or is it "off season" right now?

And didn't you "promise" to upload some pictures of hula dancers?
    I'll post more after we return as I think of it.

And I don't really think there is an "off season". The weather is the same year-round (as are the prices), and although there are very few families with school-aged kids, there are LOTS of old people. And Japanese tour groups. (Sheesh!) While waiting for out inter-island flight on Saturday, I saw three Japan Air Lines 747's land within 20 minutes. No matter what place you've stopped to sightsee, within a few minutes a van or bus with a Japanese tour group will pull up. And they take a lot of pictures.

The hula dancers are on RULost2?'s camera (I stupidly didn't bring my camera to the luau), and even though I brought about 10 different cords, I don't have a mini-mini USB cord to connect to her camera. You'll have to wait.

Supper tonight: Pineapple. Breakfast tomorrow: Pineapple and bananas.