I'm not sure how common this is, but Andre (our dog) encountered a porcupine on one of the trails in Bangor City Forest. Cano, Ben and I went there on Saturday to do Ekidokai's series but had to cut the day short when Andre ended up with a lip full of quills. Thankfully he was on a leash so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

We called Ekidokai to ask him what the quickest way to get to our car would be so that we'd be able to take Andre to the emergency vet. Ekidokai kindly offered to come pick us up and drive us to our car so we could save some walking time

Ben ended up being able to use the pliers in his pocket knife to pull out all but 2 of the quills. The last two were in really deep so he decided to leave them in and let the vet take care of them rather than risk breaking them. He usually keeps that pocket knife in the car because I give him a hard time about never needing it... but from now on I fully support carrying it with us lol

Oh, and btw, the people at the emergency vet in Brewer are pretty awesome. Since it was just 2 quills and he did not need to be sedated they took care of Andre without even charging us!