vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cache Container Damage

Default Cache Container Damage

An interesting observation today while out doing some cache maintenance before winter. When hubby was on oral chemo, we had some very cool larger pill containers. I used a number of them for caches. Painted the tops and camo taped the sides. They have been very reliable.

The OR Tract container had been in place since 3/14/2007. It is smaller (in comparison to some) and has never, to my knowledge, had food in it. I have checked it every year. Well, today I discovered some critter thought it might be nice to get into it. They had chewed the cover so there was just a rim and top in one place. There was nothing in the bottle to make them chew - wondering if someone had something on their fingers and the residue smelled appealing?

Here is a photo. Guess I am lucky it didn't get carried off. EMSDanel knows that can happen with Geocoins (as by a stroke of luck he recovered one near an animals den, which was near a cache location of his that kept being muggled by an animal).

I had another container in the car so I just replaced it. Much easier to do this fall than in the snow of winter.

Cache on - cache happy!

This has been a horrible year for finding items chewed on. Some critter crawled four feet into my pool vacuum hose.....and decided it was easier to chew a 2inch hole to exit. Another one chewed a hole right in the middle of my 9 yr. old cloth Grill cover.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    This has been a horrible year for finding items chewed on. Some critter crawled four feet into my pool vacuum hose.....and decided it was easier to chew a 2inch hole to exit. Another one chewed a hole right in the middle of my 9 yr. old cloth Grill cover.
    Urghhh - I hope this isn't telling us something about what this winter will be................ Maybe the critter was just hunting for a home.........

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Urghhh - I hope this isn't telling us something about what this winter will be................ Maybe the critter was just hunting for a home.........
    heh, personally I'm putting my kayak in the storage unit this winter so it doesn't become a nest...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    heh, personally I'm putting my kayak in the storage unit this winter so it doesn't become a nest...
    Oh yeah - now, I know the track record and that makes sense. There is a great tool - called moth balls! EMSDanel went to that technique after I suggested it and cured his invaders!

I was the last to find that one but it was the 14th. It hadn't been chewed on that day. Trying to remember, I think I had eaten a couple of peanut butter cups while in the car that very well could be my fault. Sorry...
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    I was the last to find that one but it was the 14th. It hadn't been chewed on that day. Trying to remember, I think I had eaten a couple of peanut butter cups while in the car that very well could be my fault. Sorry...
    Oh geesh, not a problem - but that might have been it. LOL I actually thought it was really funny!

Beware of Peanut Butter on thine fingers - as the sticky may attract a few nut collectors!

Don't cha' worry - the new container will hold more coins LOL!

So now we have hand washing for H1N1 and also cache container scenting for nut collectors LOL!

Oh yeah - .... There is a great tool - called moth balls! .....
    They make them in Lavender scented packets too!!! Great for indoor applications.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

There was at least one out on th SMR that had been eaten. Half on the canister was missing. I blamed the mosquitoes.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Oh yeah - now, I know the track record and that makes sense. There is a great tool - called moth balls! EMSDanel went to that technique after I suggested it and cured his invaders!
    I started using moth balls after my summer car smelled like dead mice after I got it out of storage. (There were mouse nests on top of the engine too, good for fires.)