Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bangor in the news!!

Default Bangor in the news!!

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/rea...a-numbers-run2
    Be sure to check out their photo albums as well
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Huh!? Did you know Maine has tortoises!? lol Great article and coverage for the SMR caching.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

heh, my first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "I DIDN'T DO IT!!"

nice article though.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Great Newsletter!

I subscribed and can't wait to have enough time to browse the rest of that issue and the back issues.

Really nice article and kudos to ekidokai (did I spell that right?) for putting together a really cool destination for cachers!

Default Great publicity for our sport!

That was a terrific article and the type of publicity that will get others into the game. Mike, if you feel "proud", you're entitled! Regardless of what fellow cachers feel about this series, there's no denying the goodwill that comes from a news article like this!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Nice article despite my dislike for Maine to be promoted as an area for numbers.

I'm guessing the tortoise they saw was the ever rare Maine snapping tortoise!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default What's "numbers?"

Most people reading that article probably have a very limited knowledge of what "caching" is and I think the fact that the term "numbers run" was used, most non-cachers will likely think " Hey, backcountry, critters here and there, using a GPS other to find Walmart, sounds like fun!' Those of us that play know what it means and of course there's opinions pro and con about a series like this, but the bottom line is that the article has great potential to get others to play. I think the Battleship cache is as unique as any I've seen and if the Bangor press wants to describe how complex a cache can be, then that would be more good publicity that has the potential to bring in new players.

If you read back through the article, it does, in a minimal sense, explain what a numbers run is. I had to read through it again to make sure it did myself. And the article is geared toward cachers, it is not like it was in the local newspaper. So in reality I would guess it will not attract new cachers so much as attract cachers who might not otherwise visit Maine for the purpose of caching. And that is not necessarily a bad thing, I just hope anyone doing so likes it enough to come back and enjoy more of what Maine has to offer. And I can see where the SMR may do that for many people, it is a nice area.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-28-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Well, at least I tried!

I try to put a positive spin on most things, some do not. I think the article, the series was great for caching!!!!!! This would be a great chat topic, "What benefit did the article have to geocaching in Maine?" Wish I could do chat tonite, but we have company and I have a full slate tomorrow starting with an early board meeting so I"m out.