vb:literal>

Thread: Well I guess I lurked around here for too long...

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Well I guess I lurked around here for too long...

...so I'll speak up and thank haffy for urging me to come for a visit after I met him last month in Bangor. I'm looking forward to my second year caching and transforming northern Maine into a caching paradise by placing a good amount of caches everywhere up here in Aroostook. Anyone know of a good place to get ammo cans in Maine?

Brian a.k.a. blevesque

Quote Originally Posted by blevesque
    . Anyone know of a good place to get ammo cans in Maine?

Brian a.k.a. blevesque
    I find all mine in the woods. Some weird buncha people have been hiding them in the woods and posting coordinates online.

There are a few military surplus stores in Maine, one in Brewer and one in Newport that I know of, you can also get them online - I think there are a few sites listed in the links section on this website.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    There are a few military surplus stores in Maine, one in Brewer and one in Newport that I know of...
    I'm heading to Mass. at the beginning of June so I'll check Newport as I'm driving by. If I don't suceed there, I'll try cheaperthandirt. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by blevesque
    I'm heading to Mass. at the beginning of June so I'll check Newport as I'm driving by. If I don't suceed there, I'll try cheaperthandirt. Thanks guys!
    I've checked the Army surplus store in Newport a couple of times. They only had a couple of cans each time, and they were in pretty sad shape. But the price wasn't too bad - $4.50, I think.

And there's an Army surplus store in Farmington, but I haven't been in there in a couple of years so don't know what they've got.

Cool A cache of cache boxes!

Wow, I just stumbled across a mother lode of ammo boxes in Acton, just over the NH border! Mike Kelley just got back from Iraq in the Army Reserves where he said these boxes are just lying around all over. I bought five from him and he still has 30-40 left in all sizes. I got:

• (1) Small Ammo Box, 200-7.62mm 3.5"x7"x10"
    • (2) Medium Ammo Box, 840-5.56mm 6"x7"x11"
    • (1) Large Ammo Box, 800-5.56mm+ 7"x9"x12"
    • (1) Gargantuan Ammo Box, 3-81mm Mortars 5.5"x13"x23"
    I'm pretty excited about finding a location for that last one! People could leave small appliances as trades! He even has some bigger boxes(!). All boxes are in near new condition and appear as if they would all seal perfectly watertight. I told him about how they would be used in geocaching, and he said he'd be happy to sell them to us. I'd be happy to sell a couple of mine for what I paid, or I could pick up some of Mike's and hold them for you. Or you can call Mike directly at 207-477-2789. His home coordinates are N 43° 34.166' W 70° 57.338'. There are some nice caches in the area, including one of our favorites, Canal Cache. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Cache'n Jacksons; 05-07-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    There are a few military surplus stores in Maine, one in Brewer and one in Newport that I know of
    There is one right here in Augusta, too. I think I am going to get a few. I don't know the cost, but I will let you all know.

Default Check your local paper...

I just came across an ad in the local paper by a guy with lots of boxes for sale in Acton. 30mm, 50mm & even mortar round cans, priced $3-$5. I plan on visiting him today to check out the goods and pick up 3-4. I'll post his phone number and coords if it looks like a good deal, and I may even be able to pick some up to hold for you guys.

Hey Brian ,glad you finally stopped in to say hello. I posted a link a while ago for the ammo cans at www.cheaperthandirt.com. Not a bad price of $19.95 for six if I remember correctly. A couple of our members have ordered from them and they have been really pleased. Glad to have you join us and hope you can join in more often now.
    Last edited by Haffy; 05-06-2005 at 03:53 PM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I agree with Haffy. I bought a lot of 6 cans from CheaperthanDirt and they were real clean, (like new) and not all dinged up and rusty.