vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Queries now include cache attributes!

Hybrid View

Default Pocket Queries now include cache attributes!

PQs from gc.com now include attributes, which was desired by many since they were introduced. The newest installment of GSAK has macro support for it, and I would imagine in the not too distant future you will be able to filter for them as well.I would imagine attributes will be showing up soon on all the Geocaching enabled GPSrs as well.

And of course, I will have to see if I can implement them into the stats as well!

A simple macro which allows you to filter via macro has been created already by lignumaqua. http://gsak.net/board/index.php?show...ndpost&p=89638

Last edited by brdad; 11-06-2009 at 10:09 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

A nice feature, but I have been getting the attributes with my alerts for quite some time now and when the new alerts are loaded into GSAK the attributes are there already.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    A nice feature, but I have been getting the attributes with my alerts for quite some time now and when the new alerts are loaded into GSAK the attributes are there already.
    I think that's because it is pulling the arrributes from the HTML pages, not via PQ. Since I don't use it, I'm not that knowledgeable about it, but I am assuming you cannot filter by it?

Of course, when you find every cache as it's published, who needs to see how many caches of a certain attribute are nearby!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

And attributes don't do you a bit of good if the C.O. doesn't list them!? We've been noticing this when it comes to finding caches which are fairly safe during hunting season. And some of you guys boohoo micros in the city!? lol
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quick park & grab attribute is still missing. Anyway most people are not able to assign correct attributes or waypoints to the cache so I made my own tagging system. I will just post a note to your cache with all the attributes I need. Like this {WP TpJC3XZa Trailhead} I taught my GPS to understand this notes. Tag above means waypoint at N44.864655, W68.740387 with name Trailhead
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    And attributes don't do you a bit of good if the C.O. doesn't list them!? We've been noticing this when it comes to finding caches which are fairly safe during hunting season. And some of you guys boohoo micros in the city!? lol
    Would the hunting attribute help much anyway, since there is no "no hunting" attribute? This is one of the things I find is odd because one would think cachers would be more interested in caches with no hunting allowed than those with hunting.

I'll have to see what % of active caches have attributes listed when I get my PQs for the stats.

As far as boohooing micros in the city, I have always been more afraid of getting shot in the city then I have in the woods any time of year!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I do not think people are not able to assign correct attributes to caches, I think they just all have their individual priorities. Those that have kids are more likely to highlight that attribute, and so on for dog owners, ATVers, and disabled people.

I don't think I have the hunting attribute assigned to any of my caches, mostly because I think you can generally expect hunting to be allowed most anywhere in Maine short of populated areas and parks (assuming landowner permission). I do, however have the "takes more than an hour" on some of them because I think that is important to know on those caches. I think the 'Wheelchair accessible" should be one of the definite attributes to include if it is indeed wheelchair accessible. I didn't post the "Not wheelchair accessible" on my rural caches because the terrain should imply that, but because Old470 is only a 1.5 terrain, I placed it on there to give fair warning.
    Last edited by brdad; 11-07-2009 at 10:43 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Would the hunting attribute help much anyway, since there is no "no hunting" attribute? ......... I have always been more afraid of getting shot in the city then I have in the woods any time of year!
    If a preserve or such offers hunting....and someone lists that...it can be a big help.

As to fear of getting shot in the city vs. woods......true that....atleast w/the Bright orange hunters...you Know they're carrying w/an intent for a target other than you.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Default A couple stats

Surprising (to me, anyway) - 3837 of our 4923 available caches (78%) have some attributes attached to them. I expected much less. Those caches share a total of 22,727 attributes, which calculates to about 6 attributes per cache average.

Which attributes are most common in Maine caches?
    This is just simple list using attribute names - not whether it is a NO or YES, so the count for the attribute "Dogs" for example, counts both the caches with attributes that say dogs are allowed as well as those that say dogs are not allowed.

Attname Count(aId)
    Takes less than an hour 2642
    Dogs 1958
    Recommended for kids 1911
    Parking available 1883
    Available during winter 1801
    Available at all times 1764
    Bicycles 1265
    Scenic view 1260
    Stealth required 933
    Wheelchair accessible 699
    Motorcycles 651
    Snowmobiles 540
    Quads 520
    Ticks 484
    Recommended at night 440
    Needs maintenance 419
    Off-road vehicles 409
    Stroller accessible 394
    Picnic tables nearby 313
    Public restrooms nearby 306
    Significant hike 261
    Hunting 255
    Campfires 236
    Thorns 182
    Horses 152
    Camping available 149
    Poison plants 124
    Boat 105
    Drinking water nearby 102
    Cliff / falling rocks 88
    Difficult climbing 83
    May require wading 73
    Telephone nearby 66
    Access or parking fee 57
    Dangerous area 55
    Snakes 43
    Public transportation 37
    Watch for livestock 29
    May require swimming 14
    Abandoned mines 13
    Flashlight required 9
    Scuba gear 2
    Last edited by brdad; 11-09-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

The most surprising one to me is the one for snakes. Now where I live now I have seen many snakes but only one poisonous one and that one I saw before I reached down to get the cache fortunately. A small copperhead,just moved it away from the cache with a stick before I went in for the cache.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.