vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Queries now include cache attributes!

ok so would our new multi need to be tagged as a feild puzzle as you get coordinates for some of the other caches from one in the feild? or is this just for ? caches??
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    ok so would our new multi need to be tagged as a feild puzzle as you get coordinates for some of the other caches from one in the feild? or is this just for ? caches??
    That is a good question. I'd almost think if it required finding other caches and no work at home, it would be ok to use the field puzzle attribute. But I could be swayed to a different opinion...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The way I have handled it up until now is Solved have corrected coordinates. Ones that I cannot solve get the privilege of being on my ignore list and field puzzles were just puzzles with only the ?. It worked, but the new designations will be better.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Default Park & Grab attribute!

Some new attributes have been added to cache pages, including one for park and grab. If enough people properly used the attribute, using this attribute in conjunction with other attributes and filters could be a nice step for people like me in filtering out caches that have little to offer over a smiley, or make it easier for those that choose to do only P&Gs easier.

I see the major hurdles with the P&G attribute as:
    1. Hiders not marking their park and grabs as such because of the negative connotations of the name.
    2. Hiders with many P&Gs to their credit not wanting to bother to edit all those listings.

The benefit of the attribute is it is one step closer to effective filtering for cachers on both sides of the argument regarding P&Gs.
    The only cache I have that is a candidate for the P&G attribute would be Old470, but I feel that is not a quick enough grab for most, despite easy access.

I find the "UV Light Required" attribute odd in the fact I was just talking about UV light caches in chat the other night. I didn't realize they were so common it warranted an attribute. And if I had such a cache, would I want you to know ahead of time? Hmmmm

The 3 lengths of hike could be handy as well if properly used.

Food/Fuel nearby? IMO .... kinda dumb for an attribute. Maybe it makes sense for other areas.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1408201052327.png 
Views:	332 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	513  
    Last edited by brdad; 08-14-2010 at 02:31 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Food/Fuel nearby? IMO .... kinda dumb for an attribute. Maybe it makes sense for other areas.

Unless you're on a hike where it is 10+ miles in length, whats the point?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Unless you're on a hike where it is 10+ miles in length, whats the point?
    Well, it's nice to know it's a short hike if you are short for time or just to tired for an extended hike. There are 3 distance attributes -<1, 1-10, and 10+. Unfortunately its in km and 1 km isn't very far, .6 mile.

I think they could have done better with the distances. I would have rather seen <1 mile, <5 mile, and 5+ mile. Funny part is, there are very few caches in Maine you would ever have to walk more than 5 miles for. I know this is not so common in some other states, however.

What would be great is if you could assign any number to a mileage attribute, so you could set it to 3, 5, 7, 12, or whatever the actual intended distance was.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-15-2010 at 05:57 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Default PNG attributes

I was helping someone in chat with the new PNG attribute and realized you will not have that option in GSAK if you download the version from the main page. So here is a link to the 7.7.3 pre-release versions of GSAK. as long has you have installed version 7.7.2 Build 56 from the main page you can scroll down the page below and download the latest version.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=16220

I checked and it was good to see 5 new caches hidden by 5 different cachers with the PNG attribute this week.

The question is - what does it take to get cache hiders to review their existing caches and update them? One argument in chat last night that is is part of the regular maintenance of the cache.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-19-2010 at 06:54 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I was helping someone in chat with the new PNG attribute and realized you will not have that option in GSAK if you download the version from the main page. So here is a link to the 7.7.3 pre-release versions of GSAK. as long has you have installed version 7.7.2 Build 56 from the main page you can scroll down the page below and download the latest version.

I checked and it was good to see 5 new caches hidden by 5 different cachers with the PNG attribute this week.

The question is - what does it take to get cache hiders to review their existing caches and update them? One argument in chat last night that is is part of the regular maintenance of the cache.
    I think asking for someone to update may be stretching it.....how about getting placers to even list attributes?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Thanks again brdad for helping me with that update. it worked great

If I put out any more caches I might consider using these new attributes. Just something isn't right. I don't know what it is, there is just something not right.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.