vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Protocol on hints

We are in PA. right now visiting family. Of course we had to squeeze in some caching! There is one cache on a covered bridge that we spent quite some time trying to find and couldn't. Since our time here is limited I email the owner for a second hint. No response. Sometime people don't take the time to respond back. So I guess that cache will have to remain a DNF until next year when we're back. On a better note, I got the cords. to one cache that we found. Went to post it and the owner changed the cache for premium members only. I contacted him. He changed it back just so that I could log it. How nice was that!?! One thing that I have loved these four years that we have been caching is that it is a free fun family activity (except for gas). We normaly pack a picnic when we go a distance from the house. It works out great! Anyway, some hints are toooo clear, others not enough. Everyone has a different idea on how much info. to put out there. Same goes for cache container sizes.
    Mipster

A great man once told me "caches are meant to be found." (Gobbler)

When I ask for a hint I have spent a long time looking, posted at least one DNF, and I am frustrated as hell. I want to know exactly where it is at that point.

On the other hand when someone asks me for a hint I don't know know how much info to give. Some just want a push in the right direction and some want a lot more help. It helps me when people will tell me what they have done in their search and what they want. Otherwise I don't know how much a person wants.

I do read all the logs and try to answer questions right away.

I have two that I have had to give many hints on Dyslexic's Nightmare and Tucked away at a forgotten launch . I really enjoy reading the logs and these are hard, but meant to be found, so ask away and tell me what you want.

When looking for a cache, I want to find it. Not for numbers but for the thrill of the hunt. After coming up empty I want to find it to see what I was missing and see how devious, inventive, creative and crafty other people have been. Until I find the cache I wont know. Which reminds me I have to give a big hint to Cano now on one.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Which reminds me I have to give a big hint to Cano now on one.
    Thanks for the big hint, but I didn't ask for one. Now what have been seen cannot be unseen. Anyway as I said in my log I won't be able to find it even with correct coordinates, because my GPS just don't work there. No signal -> no cache, simple. And I'm not buying a new one for one cache, besides I'm fine with this one. I don't have to find all caches
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Thanks for the big hint, but I didn't ask for one. Now what have been seen cannot be unseen. Anyway as I said in my log I won't be able to find it even with correct coordinates, because my GPS just don't work there. No signal -> no cache, simple. And I'm not buying a new one for one cache, besides I'm fine with this one. I don't have to find all caches
    And what cache might this be? I can't imagine so far off the grid you can't get any signal............

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    And what cache might this be? I can't imagine so far off the grid you can't get any signal............
    dyslectics nightmare. I have like 50m accuracy when in that area way too large area to search.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    dyslectics nightmare. I have like 50m accuracy when in that area way too large area to search.
    Hum, odd..........hopefully the rest of the forest for you is better.

Something that annoys me when it comes to hints:

A person with very few finds looks for a cache which is more challenging (according to the rating system) and logs that they looked for awhile and couldn't find it so they called a friend who pretty much gave them a really good hint or told them right where it was . . . I have no problem with offering a hint, but kind of wish folks would try a little harder.

On the flip side, I try to send hints to folks who have logged a DNF (as Eikidokai says caches are meant to be found) or whenever I get an e-mail requesting an additional hint. Unfortunately, I don't always get e-mails from gc.com letting me know about the DNFs for whatever reason.

Something that annoys me about my own cache hints:

Some of my cache hints are pretty obscure and some really are not at all useful if you're in middle of the woods without a connection to the internet . . . sometimes I think I should change these hints, but then I think to myself that it may not be as fun to have the hint say, "Rock and Roll" or "Don't get stumped."

Something that annoys me about caches without hints:

The easy caches . . . no problem. The challenging caches . . . I hate it when there is no hint or it says something like "in the rocks" and it's hidden in a boulder field or "check the tree" and you're in middle of the forest . . . and don't get me started on the cache hints which say "Take Exit 32 and . . ." D'uh . . . I have a GPSr . . . I don't need directions to the general location.

Things I hate when folks log a cache (and yeah, I know this has nothing to do with hints . . . it's just an annoyance):

I hate it when I've taken the time and spent the money to buy an ammo can, find a good scenic spot to make the hide, filled it with swag and then folks come through and log the "X number of finds out of Y number of finds for the day. TFTC" . . . this annoys the hell out of me . . . I know I shouldn't take it personally, but I feel like my cache was just another number and the person didn't take the time to look around and appreciate where I've taken them.

OK, I'll take my happy meds now . . .
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Maine's own Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Something that annoys me when it comes to hints:

A person with very few finds looks for a cache which is more challenging (according to the rating system) and logs that they looked for awhile and couldn't find it so they called a friend who pretty much gave them a really good hint or told them right where it was . . . I have no problem with offering a hint, but kind of wish folks would try a little harder.

On the flip side, I try to send hints to folks who have logged a DNF (as Eikidokai says caches are meant to be found) or whenever I get an e-mail requesting an additional hint. Unfortunately, I don't always get e-mails from gc.com letting me know about the DNFs for whatever reason.

Something that annoys me about my own cache hints:

Some of my cache hints are pretty obscure and some really are not at all useful if you're in middle of the woods without a connection to the internet . . . sometimes I think I should change these hints, but then I think to myself that it may not be as fun to have the hint say, "Rock and Roll" or "Don't get stumped."

Something that annoys me about caches without hints:

The easy caches . . . no problem. The challenging caches . . . I hate it when there is no hint or it says something like "in the rocks" and it's hidden in a boulder field or "check the tree" and you're in middle of the forest . . . and don't get me started on the cache hints which say "Take Exit 32 and . . ." D'uh . . . I have a GPSr . . . I don't need directions to the general location.

Things I hate when folks log a cache (and yeah, I know this has nothing to do with hints . . . it's just an annoyance):

I hate it when I've taken the time and spent the money to buy an ammo can, find a good scenic spot to make the hide, filled it with swag and then folks come through and log the "X number of finds out of Y number of finds for the day. TFTC" . . . this annoys the hell out of me . . . I know I shouldn't take it personally, but I feel like my cache was just another number and the person didn't take the time to look around and appreciate where I've taken them.

OK, I'll take my happy meds now . . .
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I agree with Firefighter Jake. I like looking around at every cache I go to. Even the ones in the city. I never knew some of those stores were there.

On the thread "Where is this?" I posted two pictures recently that I thought were very interesting near caches. Anybody going to do these caches would have had to see these sights if they drove with their eyes open. And no one got the location without some help.

Geocaching takes us to a lot of great places. I tend to spend the time to really see what is there. So, giving a hint to find the cache is no big deal for me. I brought you out to see stuff and find the cache.

Nano's are bad anywhere.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Nano's are bad anywhere.
    Traffic signs are OK
    Moo