Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Protocol on hints

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    .......Nano's are bad anywhere.
    Awh, come on......not on a plow. How else would you know where to play disc golf?

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Awh, come on......not on a plow. How else would you know where to play disc golf?
    A plow is the WORST place for a nano. Lying on your back and the wind kicks up the gravel into your face.... or so I've heard...

Default Hints

I like hints, good hints. If I don't need it, I don't look at it. But when I've driven a 100 miles or more I didn't do it for a DNF. And so, here in the wilds of Eustis, where only the brave dare tred, I try to give good hints on my caches. And if those don't work, call me, knock on the door, I'll lead you to the cache by the hand if necessary. I've even taught people how to kayak so they can get to a cache. And in my kayak because they didn't have one. Caching is about having fun, finding caches, meeting (and helping people). And I too hate "in the rocks" when there's a boulder field or "in the trees" when you're in a forest. But I do like to hunt for a bit before giving up. And if it's close enough, I'll go back. But if I'm never going there again, well, that's a permanent DNF and I'm sad.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Default Now wait a minute here

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    A plow is the WORST place for a nano. Lying on your back and the wind kicks up the gravel into your face.... or so I've heard...
    I know for a fact that you would say the worst place for a nano would be on a gazebo. Or any other container as well... (Inside Joke)
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!

Unhappy My biggest pet peeve

My biggest complaint on hints are the cachers that say "Post a DNF and email me for hint" Ain't gonna happen folks. I will pass it by every time. If I am away from my immediate area then this is just a ridiculous request on a cache owners part. It will go right on the permanent ignore list.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!

Puzzle caches sometimes have a hint to solve them - but even with that - I put a double A+ on folks who put the Puzzle Checker on their cache pages. That way I know I have at lease solved it correctly without looking in a way wrong place.

Puzzle checker isn't a hint - it's just an assurance you solved it correctly.

Default I agree!

I think I'm already on record about serial logging. I find it annoying and inconsiderate especially on a cache that the CO obviously put some effort and thought into the placement.

And I agree 100% with Brad about the wise asses that say" Log a DNF and I'll e-mail you a hint." Stop and think about it. Are you trying to confound or are you placing a cache to be found?

Great thread!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Brad, thanks for this post and enlightening me. Makes sense in the overall scheme of things. I've got 2 I need to change......

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    My biggest complaint on hints are the cachers that say "Post a DNF and email me for hint" Ain't gonna happen folks. I will pass it by every time. If I am away from my immediate area then this is just a ridiculous request on a cache owners part. It will go right on the permanent ignore list.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Maine's own Andy Rooney
    Yeah, now that you mention it . . . I am fat and feeling a bit cantankerous these days . . . and I did kind of ramble on there for a bit.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I think I'm already on record about serial logging. I find it annoying and inconsiderate especially on a cache that the CO obviously put some effort and thought into the placement.
    !
    And I'm on record as saying that I'll put as much effort into a log as the cache owner put into placing the cache. As such, I'll post a "serial log" for a drive-by/GRC/LPC every time.

And we do make regular use of hints - especially on "small" caches other than GRC/LPC's. You could spend a LOT of time looking for a fairly easy cache. It's great knowing when you go into the woods that it's in "3 Birch trees", or "hanging", or "knee-high".