vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjust your compasses...

Default Adjust your compasses...

It's true....if you use a compass....adjustments will be necessary. Earth's magnetic North is travelling Eastward, 40 miles per year. Read the National Geographic article.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Actually, there is no need to adjust your compass. True north and magnetic north are quite different in Maine and have been for a long time. The difference is declination.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/Declination.jsp

It would be interesting to see how well this model predicts the future!
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Just wait til 12/21/2012 if you think the poles are moving now....lol I saw it at the movies.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default ?

Not sure if Phil is making a legitimate recommendation here. I kept a good size boat in Rockland Harbor for 18 years. It had two Danforth Constellation compasses, one at the lower station and one on the bridge. I had the compasses "swung" every 3 years. The magnetic declination in Maine has been 17 degrees West for all those years and is still the same. While it does in fact change a little each year, I don't think it's enough to worry about the average compass. If you are using a standard magnetic compass ( they all are unless they're hooked to something electronic like a gyro, then your magnetic compass is 17 west of true north.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

So, if the north pole is moving 40 miles per year toward Russia, where and how fast is the South Pole moving?
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

That explains it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I want to die while asleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
    I crack up every time I see this..(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by number seven View Post
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
    I crack up every time I see this..(LOL)
    Well, it's the truth.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I'm aware of declination. I was kinda joking about changing our compasses because I don't know how long it will be before our declination will change.

If you read the article you saw what I was commenting on: "A rapidly shifting magnetic pole means that magnetic-field maps need to be updated more often to allow compass users to make the crucial adjustment from magnetic north to true North."

Any good compass like my Silva Ranger comes w/a declination screw, to take out the guess work.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    I'm aware of declination. I was kinda joking about changing our compasses because I don't know how long it will be before our declination will change.

If you read the article you saw what I was commenting on: "A rapidly shifting magnetic pole means that magnetic-field maps need to be updated more often to allow compass users to make the crucial adjustment from magnetic north to true North."

Any good compass like my Silva Ranger comes w/a declination screw, to take out the guess work.
    What about birds using geomagnetic field for navigation. Do they need to update too?
    Moo