Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: You Least Favorite Hiding Place?

My not so favorite caches are the ones in a very high traffic area very close to the side of the road. I am not opposed to GR caches, and have done a fair amount, and only a couple have been a little on the too close to scary side. This issue probably depends on the month of year in Maine! Electrical boxes to me send a bad message if you cache with children along. Thats why we have choices on where to cache...not everyone has the same issues.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Default Not so good caches!

Extremely well hid caches in wooded areas with no clues and little chance of finding the cache. Like Waterski, caches next to the road where there's no safe place to park.

Caches placed anywhere where's there's a lot of litter, trash or likely spot for a dead body or two! If there's already litter where you want to place it, don"t!

Any caches with bad coords that are noted in logs and then not changed. Happens way too often!

Disposable Glad containers, the cheap ones designed to keep a few leftovers for one more meal. These can't possibly survive a Maine winter. If a mouse walks by, it's toast. Two inches of snow, everything in it is ruined. God forbid a winter cacher hits it with a ski pole or pokey stick...it's done! If that's your idea of great cache container, just cache and let others put them out!

Caches placed with out of date GPS units. Let's face it folks, there are some of the older units that couldn't find the Maine Mall on a good day. Wait until you upgrade.

Serial logging. C'mon, use a little imagination. The cacher that placed the cache likes to read something positive about the cache. "SL TFTC"..is that really the best you can do? Yeah, there are some fairly ordinary caches but try the Golden Rule and ask how you feel about serial logs on your own caches!

Ramdom thoughts by Di and I and no way intended to offend anybody. We know many can't spring for Pelican containers and Oregons but there's always more that most can do to improve the game!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Serial logging. C'mon, use a little imagination. The cacher that placed the cache likes to read something positive about the cache. "SL TFTC"..is that really the best you can do?
    My log entries are consistent with the quality of the cache. A GRC or LPC cache gets - on a good day - three words (cut-and-paste works great!). A well thought out, nicely located cache with good "swag", might get 2-3 paragraphs.

We like "the game". Note the log entry I made yesterday for one cache we found, and the log for the TB we left in the cache.

And don't give me this "do unto others" malarky...

Extremely well hid caches in wooded areas with no clues and little chance of finding the cache. Like Waterski, caches next to the road where there's no safe place to park.

Caches placed anywhere where's there's a lot of litter, trash or likely spot for a dead body or two! If there's already litter where you want to place it, don"t!

Any caches with bad coords that are noted in logs and then not changed. Happens way too often!

Disposable Glad containers, the cheap ones designed to keep a few leftovers for one more meal. These can't possibly survive a Maine winter. If a mouse walks by, it's toast. Two inches of snow, everything in it is ruined. God forbid a winter cacher hits it with a ski pole or pokey stick...it's done! If that's your idea of great cache container, just cache and let others put them out!

Caches placed with out of date GPS units. Let's face it folks, there are some of the older units that couldn't find the Maine Mall on a good day. Wait until you upgrade.

Serial logging. C'mon, use a little imagination. The cacher that placed the cache likes to read something positive about the cache. "SL TFTC"..is that really the best you can do? Yeah, there are some fairly ordinary caches but try the Golden Rule and ask how you feel about serial logs on your own caches!

Ramdom thoughts by Di and I and no way intended to offend anybody. We know many can't spring for Pelican containers and Oregons but there's always more that most can do to improve the game!
    Oh, oh - I like this list. I also am a firm proponent of permission of land owner or overseer whether it be public land or private.

Hint: none needed, I hate it twice. Once because I need it, especially if your coords are off. Second, computers are caching too and it is confusing for them, just leave this field blank if you have to.
    Moo

On hints:
    How about "Under the rock" and you are in a gravel pit?
    Or "in the pine tree" and you are in the woods in Maine?
    IF you put a hint, make it useful. If I'm standing in the woods decyphering a hint, I don't need it to tell me which exit to get off the interstate to get to the parking area, I'm past that at this point. THAT should be in the cache description, if it's needed. Give me something relevant to the moment at hand.

Of course the hider never needs a hint. But what about the rest of us? ha
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Default That some cool stuff!

I really like the Rulost2 logs on the cache in NH. Plus, anytime you can do a picture adds so much to a log. I agree, Bruce, it's sometimes a bit hard to say much about a GRC or a LPC but I most often try to add a little something. The comic graphic you had on that cache, is that something you can forward to me? I think that's the kind of thing that I could use when even I am at a loss of words to say something about a hide.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Well, well, well. I think this dispels the myth that you are the resident "Old Curmudgeon" of GCM.org Great logs!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We like "the game". Note the log entry I made yesterday for one cache we found, and the log for the TB we left in the cache.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Well said, Dan. I would include caches hidden by very inexperienced cachers. These are usually the Glad containers and poor cords.

Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.