vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbers or Experience

Question Numbers or Experience

I just wanted to know how every one feels. I am in it for the experience since my daughter told me on the way out of out first cache "now this daddy is great quality time for us" from the mouths of babes. We will have a picnic or snack at a good cache and just enjoy each others company.

How do you take caching? Just curious.

Post I think it's a combination of both for me

I like to look at my numbers but I also like to reflect back on some of my most memorable hunts. Some good and some not so much. It sounds like you have a really great reason to get out there. Don't give that up. Before you know it she will have way more important things to occupy her.
    Happy Trails!

d’76 Guest

I like most of the experiances but sometimes it's about the numbers but more than anything it's about being outside

Yes the numbesr do play into the fun of doing caches. I tell people that I am not in it for the numbers and I truely am not. But when we do a whole day of caching I do like to get as many as I can because I don't know when I will be able to cache again. So when I say I am not in it for the number I mean that I am not out every weekend trying to get as many caches as I can. I do have a life other then caching.

I do enjoy caching though because it gets me out of the house on days when I have nothing else to do and takes me to places that I would never have gone to our known about. I have seen things on caches in Maine that others will never see or experience in their lifetime.
    Blazing Troll

Default Another example...

Numbers are very low on the list of things that I enjoy about caching. If they stopped keeping track, that would be fine by me. The places, clever hides, flower, fauna and people - even the weather, are what I enjoy.

Yesterday, I hosted an event and someone asked me if I was keeping a written log. I said no because it was just too wet and windy. He was concerned that someone would try to sneak in 1 extra credit. It turns out that he had nothing to worry about: approx. 100 travel bugs were exchanged; everyone that logged their attendance also came away with travel bugs!

It's all about the experience and being outdoors! Caching is fun, but it really is the excuse for getting outside and to places that I have never been to before and probably wouldn't even find out about. It is a great way to get kids to find fun in hiking.

The numbers really do play a role in it, it is almost like a competition, but who are you competing against other than yourself??? The real thing for me and my family is the opportunity to spend some time together, seeing places we have not seen before and probably would never have seen. We stumbled onto geocaching from a link on an ATV site, we realized there were 4-5 caches within 3 miles of home. We went out the next morning to find them and got hooked.

I look at it as time WELL spent with my mother and my daughter. And I mean that by not sitting infront of the TV or asking her to clean her room. We have our own way (I'm sure others do this too) of hunting for a cache to make everyone feel like they are helping.

It's also good exercise. One is outdoors with clean air and I teach my daughter about things in the woods and we look at tracks in the mud (even if it's just dog tracks), we look at the flowers and marks on trees.

Talking Experience

My navigator and I go out for the time together. Awwwwww. We take time out to enjoy what the caches have to offer. We enjoy taking, (and making up pics). Were happy to be out and about. It's the experience for us. The numbers don't hurt.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default So many reasons....

I have many reasons for enjoying the hobby and numbers is on the list. Not in the typical way that one might think about it though. When I see my numbers increasing I can know that I went to that number of places and almost every one of them was a spot I would likely not have visited otherwise.

One of my greatest motivators is the exercise and opportunity to be outside.

One of my favorite things about caching is the memories that I take away - many wonderful places, sunshine and breezes, the challenge of the hunt and the excitement of the find, and a great opportunity to spend a few moments enjoying a location that I would likley not have seen otherwise by kicking back and relaxing - seizing the moment.

And of course - the people! I now have a new circle of friends who enjoy this great sport and have great passion for it as well. I can't say enough about the people that I have met along the way - either at/on the way to a cache - and at events.
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 05-08-2005 at 08:09 PM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~