Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Hello all and supplemental question to wife's

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default Hello all and supplemental question to wife's

    Hi all. I'm JustPJ66's husband. Supplemental question to hers, what do you think of Garmin GPS's, specifically the ones with touchscreen. She's not impressed with what we're seeing with the Magellan Triton 400 (neither am I) and she's thinking maybe we should go Garmin. It's her idea for the touch screen. Hey, she's letting me buy a new laptop to go with our new geocaching hobby so I can't complain.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albion, Maine
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Hi all. I'm JustPJ66's husband. Supplemental question to hers, what do you think of Garmin GPS's, specifically the ones with touchscreen. She's not impressed with what we're seeing with the Magellan Triton 400 (neither am I) and she's thinking maybe we should go Garmin. It's her idea for the touch screen. Hey, she's letting me buy a new laptop to go with our new geocaching hobby so I can't complain.
    I have recently gotten my hands on a Garmin Dakota 20 and I'm very pleased with it. If the higher end Garmin touchscreens perform as well as what I'm familiar with in the Dakota then I would wager that any Garmin touchscreen would be well worth the money.

    I would have a hard time going back to my eTrex at this point after caching with the Dakota20.

    If I had to point out one con about the unit it would have to be that the backlighting is a little "low." Other than that, I'm very impressed with the touchscreen.

    Good luck and Cache On!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Oregon

    And if you want to kick it up a notch, the Garmin Oregon 400t set the standard for touchscreen caching. Like Steve (TRF) indicated, the screen stays on "bright" for a very brief time in order to save battery power. But all you do is touch it again, and it's back on bright. The 400t comes preloaded with very nice topo maps and of course is paperless, does Wherigo and can take 2000 caches. Deleting caches is a bit more involved but the compass is terrific. We like ours!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    well, I'm not a "her" so I'll type in my squeeky voice...

    I have an oregon 300, at first I was really skeptical about the touch screen, especially in cold weather. But all of my concerns have melted away, I love it. (just update it as soon as you take it out of the box, and buy some screen protectors for it) I even left it in the truck overnight a few times to test it out, and the screen didn't seem effected at all by the cold.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I even left it in the truck overnight a few times to test it out, and the screen didn't seem effected at all by the cold.
    Yeah but you haven't left it in the snowbank for months yet either...
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Yeah but you haven't left it in the snowbank for months yet either...
    well, we haven't had enough snow for me to do that yet. But that GPS is currently still located over in buckfield (for about the last 2years) I think I have a pretty good idea of where it's at too, I've narrowed it down to about 2 sq miles where it can be.... (and I bet it still works too!)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albion, Maine
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    And if you want to kick it up a notch, the Garmin Oregon 400t set the standard for touchscreen caching. Like Steve (TRF) indicated, the screen stays on "bright" for a very brief time in order to save battery power. But all you do is touch it again, and it's back on bright. The 400t comes preloaded with very nice topo maps and of course is paperless, does Wherigo and can take 2000 caches. Deleting caches is a bit more involved but the compass is terrific. We like ours!
    Ohhhh, you can put all the geocaches in these units. The unit support upwards of 200 individual GPX files and each GPX file will contain upward of 2000 geocaches. When using GSAK I Load the closest 2000 in 1 GPX file named uniquely enough "closest2000caches.gpx" then I load another filter with my furthest 2000 caches name oddedly enough "furthest2000caches.gpx". The unit parses the two file to give me all the caches in the state. I'm still trying to perfect a filter in Gsak that will allow me to divide the entire database of my unfound caches in to closest with a criteria using distance of "less than or equal to 70 miles" and then another filter that uses similiar criteria except written "greater than or equal to 70.1 miles"

    The Whereigo feature is the only thing the Dakota apparently lacks.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm still trying to perfect a filter in Gsak that will allow me to divide the entire database of my unfound caches in to closest with a criteria using distance of "less than or equal to 70 miles" and then another filter that uses similiar criteria except written "greater than or equal to 70.1 miles
    You can do any filter in GSAk and then select "reverse filter" to show all the opposite caches if that's what you're trying to do.

    A macro could also be made that would center the cache list on a given cache or location and then create both GPX files for you automatically. I'd be happy to take a stab at if if you'd like.
    Last edited by brdad; 11-14-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rockland Me
    Posts
    436

    Default

    I am also a recent owner of the Oregon 400t and it has worked out well the little time I have had it. If you set the background maps to white it helps out on the dim issue of the screen. That really has not been a real problem to me yet, but some people have mentioned that issue.
    The touch screen has worked well.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    If I am reading your post correctly the Dakota will hold more than 2000 caches? If my numbers add up it will hold as much as 400,000 caches. Holy Crap!!! Did that make any sense?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •