vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEEEz can't find a thang..

Unhappy GEEEz can't find a thang..

Hi There... Yikes...Took me 2 days of hell to get the maps imported and learn the ropes of my new Delorme PN 40 .. Down loaded 2 caches in the area today. Just hiked up the bald mountain one and was standing on top of where a cache was suppose to be... zero zero zero zero... So I went down to the Hobbs pond cache and stood in the middle of the road near the landing and it read 00 and zero zero.... How far away are these cache from where the GPS says they are suppose to be.??? There must be something wrong i'm doing.
    Any help would be great to get me started.. I can see where i might not find the one on the mountain...but Hobbs pond ?? THANK YOU FOR SUGGESTIONS.
    Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDZ21 View Post
    Hi There... Yikes...Took me 2 days of hell to get the maps imported and learn the ropes of my new Delorme PN 40 .. Down loaded 2 caches in the area today. Just hiked up the bald mountain one and was standing on top of where a cache was suppose to be... zero zero zero zero... So I went down to the Hobbs pond cache and stood in the middle of the road near the landing and it read 00 and zero zero.... How far away are these cache from where the GPS says they are suppose to be.??? There must be something wrong i'm doing.
    Any help would be great to get me started.. I can see where i might not find the one on the mountain...but Hobbs pond ?? THANK YOU FOR SUGGESTIONS.
    Eliza
    Dear Eliza,

One must use thy geo-senses. Understanding that your GPSr at its most accurate may still be off as many as several feet. You may be required to search a fairly sizable area, both high and low. Some hides are devious others may be obvious, those factors are usually outlined in the description or hint. Your GPSr is more than likely 'fine' and dependable and you should not question its ability but you may have to adjust your search patterns to adjust for the inherent inaccuracy of your unit that is true for all GPSr units. Also in keeping that your GPSr during search has a built in standard deviation so does the hiders GPSr which can compound the overall inaccuracy.

Trust thy GPSr, question your immediate search area for a likely spot. Hobbs Pond required some verticle adjuncts for me to reach. :-)

Cache on and good luck.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    One must use thy geo-senses. Understanding that your GPSr at its most accurate may still be off as many as several feet. You may be required to search a fairly sizable area, both high and low.
    I'm not familiar with either of these caches, but have to reinforce TRF's comment about accuracy.

GPS units are a lot more accurate these days than they were 5-6 years ago, so you might want to consider how long the cache has been there when searching.

And even the bestest, newest GPS has good and bad days depending on the weather, tree cover, etc.

We've been caching many times when we've found the cache 50 or more feet from "ground zero".

Or, try caching with a group. We went last month and there were 4 GPS devices in the group. Many times, all 4 indicated vast differences in the cache location. Three were Garmins and one was a Magellan.

Thanks You for the replies !!.....kinda what i thought, but was hoping for an easier fix )
    Interesting...we just bought the camp right next to the Hobbs pond cache. SOOO for the last month before I got the GPS...I searched all around those dang trees from zee water back to shore road...Every weekend i look and look and look.....its the journey not the destination...:0 THANKS AGAIN... Its fun !

There are so many factors involved. It not only depends on the accuracy of YOUR GPS but the hider's as well. Also, were they standing right on the spot when they took the reading? How many coords did they take before they averaged them out? Also, is it possible that it was a puzzle cache which often do not give their true coords? Generally with my GPS (which is a couple of years old) we start looking once we are within 20-30 feet or so. Sometimes we luck out and find the cache pretty much "at ground 0" but it is actually quite rare for us. Hints can be very helpful but also make sure you look over past logs as well because SOMETIMES that gives more clues than the actual hints do. Sometimes even the name of the cache can tell you something. I always recommend starting with relatively easy caches and careful with micros unless you have LOTS of patience. Lastly, look at each and every hide as a learning experience as you may encounter similar styles of hides again in the future. Hope this helps.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Do you have the GC numbers of the 2 caches that you looked for? That might help in maybe determining the problem you had and make sure the GPS is set to the correct datum as well too.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Hobbs Pond Cache

So, as the cache placer of this cache I ask first " Are you a munchkin?" If you are, you'll need help. If not, you might still need help. I'm 5'10', on a good day and I did not use any artificial devices to place the cache. If you read some of the logs, some cachers used very clever means to get to it. So...does that help? Some times it takes a little extra effort to "reach" your goal! Have fun!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

You guys are soo funny with your .. philosophy / life jots ..
    hmmm so... i will pull myself out of the snowy no- found ditch...and search, search, search...ill go up mt batty tomorrow and see if i cannot find another... anyone reading this have the PN40 ??..thanks e.

ohhhhhh there you are dubord 207......gonna git you for this ))
    Hell...we have been working on the camp and have plenty of things to get us 'Way out Yonder" or giant UP ....I will be embarrassed ,I'm sure when i find the SKY critter !!