vb:literal>

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have a Netbook?

Hybrid View

Default Anyone Have a Netbook?

At the Beer & Wings event Saturday, I had a good discussion with Okidookie about the netbook computer he had. I've been thinking about getting a netbook for some time (it will be a lot easier to use in the car when we're traveling than my 17" screen Dell! LOL!), but I haven't seen one I liked. I'd like something better than the 1.6GB Intel Atom processor.

Anyone have a "better" netbook computer that they'd recommend?

Thanks.

It wouldn't be netbook then
    Moo

Seems to me they are mostly equipped with the Atom processor.

http://www.obsessable.com/comparator/netbooks-compared/
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I bought an ASUS about a month ago. What I saw was that they all have the same 1.6GB Intel Atom processor. I bought the 8.2 inch screen model and so far I enjoy it greatly. I loaded GSAK,topo and mapsource on it and always bring it when caching.Plenty of speed and I can grab internet if need be. I shut down the camera and bluetooth options to help stretch out the battery life. I am getting about 7 hrs on a charge. I did by the car adapter so I just leave it plugged in when I am out caching.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

I have an Acer that I use, primarily to use on airplanes because of the size. It allows me to work even when the person in front puts the seatback down .
    I also use it for my iPod and for caching in the truck. I bought the better battery and can get up to 7 hours. I don't know which processor it is, the labels are in Chinese.....I bought it in Hong Kong.
    All that said, I like it for what I use it for. My biggest complaint would be the size of the keyboard. Sounds like for the reason you want to use a smaller "netbook", it would fit the bill.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I got the Dell netbook. A little bit bigger screen and keyboard. Works great!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I have an Acer netbook similar to ekidokaisiesis, and I love it. For browsing the web, gsak, and other simple things it's great. I don't plan to use it for games or anything like that.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I bought the 12" Dell...have M.S. Office and mapping programs on it. The smaller keyboards wouldn't have worked for me. The learning curve on the 12" wasn't bad. It's also my primary computer...not just for geocaching.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I have an Acer too (less than$350) - got it for the trip in June. Got the bigger screen and the larger battery - lasts for over 7 hours. My fingers are small so no problem with the keyboard. Run GSAk, have Mapsource and all that stuff. It will synch through a network to load stuff.......and I also have an external HD which I can use.

Black Friday - check out the web pages - supposedly Walmart has some "real" compueters in the small sizes (not netbook) on sale. Just a thought.

Biggest issue - Granddaughter likes movies - can't play them. BUT - I can access the websites where she can get her "shows".

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html is good for playing movies. It can play anything without installing any codecs. it's fast and light weight. It's free and open source
    Moo