vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Maine Geocoin Design!

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1-Portland Headlight

57 48.72%
  • Option 2-Maine Dirigo Seal

60 51.28%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Vote now for your favorite Maine Geocoin Design!

For what it's worth I whole heartly agree with Brad. But then I wouldn't vote in a poll of an organization that I had no connection with. Kinda like rearranging the furniture in someone elses house.

I kind of echo EGSG's words and we didn't make it explcit as to who was allowed to vote on the coin. Both designs are great and it wouldn't matter to me which way the vote went although I went with option# 2.Guess we can leave that decision up to the coin Queen as far as who is elligible to vote.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Went for the State of Maine seal. Great coin for the whole State.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Post Out of state votes

Aye, I'd have to agree that it would have been better for Mainer's to vote on their first coin exclusively. That being said, most of the folk "from away" wouldn't likely to be voting on a Geocaching in Maine forum if they didn't feel a personal connection in some way, and it wasn't exactly stipulated anywhere. It would be difficult to alter the vote now I think...

I'd prefer the vote to be a vote of a resident. I value the tourists opinion and input, but...They do not know the whole state. There is more to this state than just the coastlline. I believe I voted for the state seal ( anything other than the lighthouse). Keep the lighthouse on the postcards, keychains, coffeemugs, etc etc etc. Just my opinion, I hope no one gets offended by my thoughts.
    I encourage all from away to explore our northernmost reaches of Maine. They contain many rural and wilderness areas that rival any place in this country.
    (as spoken, IMHO)
    Silva, of the forest

Beneath you, feel the Earth.
    Above you, feel the Sky.
    Around you, feel the presence and the Power
    of the Trees!

Default Boy, you guys get up early!

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Guess we can leave that decision up to the coin Queen as far as who is elligible to vote.
    Yes, everyone is allowed to vote. If the vote is "too close to call," I will recalculate the votes disallowing all the out of state voters. (Check real quick in your profile and make sure your "location" says Maine so I don't pull it by mistake!) Sorry for the confusion on this, but as it stands we still have two options. Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep everyone happy here.

Thanks to everyone who voted...It was nice to see a lot of people signed in that haven't been here for a while, and to hear from some of them. I still am at awe that the vote has almost doubled due to the email. I think that is wonderful!

By the way, did anyone see the new table on Post #1? That took a few hours, and still needs a little work on my end. That guy named Rick really knows his stuff. When you get a chance, please thank him for all that he does, including putting up with the Coin Queen!
    Last edited by Cache Maine; 05-23-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Default I wonder

Do we really know .....

.....that tourists don't know the northern or entire state? There are many individuals who come to Maine specifically to spend time in the regions of Maine that are not along the coast.

.....that those who live in Maine know the entire state? I know people who live in the north who have never ventured to the southern part of the state and people who live in the southern part of the state who have never ventured north.

I bet there are people from outside of Maine that have seen more of the state than some of us who live here.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I think Brad was refering to people that:
    Have never been to Maine
    Have no intention of ever coming
    Have never posted here
    But voted

Default Is it a Maine Coin?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I'm sorry, but I thought this was going to be decided but people that live in the state and not coin collectors? I appoligize if I've hurt anyones feelings, but this was discussed at a get together. How do the rest of you feel about this subject? Am I alone on this opinion? Speak up and be heard!
    Majority rules and I'm happy with that but I have to agree that it should be a Maine majority. While both designs are attractive the Maine seal represents all members, not just coastal communities. When I see a lighthouse on top of Mt.Katadin that will sway me to vote for option number 2. I might even be swayed if I see a lighthouse on the Aroostook river in Caribou or on Moosehead lake in Rockwood. Many Out-of-Staters come here and only see the "Vacation Land" ideology. Out-of-staters may see more of the attractions in this state only because they are on vacation while those that live here are working Monday through Friday. This is the way it should be because when I'm on vacation elsewhere (the grass is always greener on the other side.), I'm inclined to believe I see more of those local attractions than the residence there.

Default clarification

My comment was not meant to be judgmental in any way. Was just pointing out that perhaps we cannot make a decision about whether a vote counts based on a visit to the state, plans to visit the state, knowing the state, whether one has traveled around the state, etc. If there is a link to Maine, perhaps it would be most appropriate to be by residency. But it was not indicated as a criteria for voting, so we may need to move forward knowing that a handful of votes are from those outside of Maine. I have no preference.

Cameoooooo - does "too close to call" mean that it is a tie?
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 05-23-2005 at 10:31 AM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~