vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: bug questions

Default bug questions

They say no question is stupid....ill let you be the judge! hehe

Now I know I haven't read all there is to read about this sport, but I can't seem to find anything about this so maybe you long timers in the sport can answer this for me.

I have noticed a wide variety of items attached to travel bugs. Are there any things that are not allowed to be attached to a bug. Of course I dont mean something crude or inappropriate, I mean as to weight or size. I have seen some intresting choices to attach and just wondering in case I should ever get a travel bug of my own one day. The majority of them are related to the goal of the bug but some I admit confound me. Does there have to be a reason or can you just put any old thing on it??

Thanks in advance
    Pam

You are only stupid if you don't ask!

There are cars that are TBs, Cement blocks that are TBs, and People that are TBs, there was a TB which contained the ashes of a relative (but it was fake - or was it? ) ! I have a TB that is 18 pounds. basically anything goes!

But, the more valuable or attractive a TB might be, the more likely someone will take it home and keep it.

Here's a pic of Cindy the Cinderblock just before I did my alterations to it.
    Last edited by brdad; 11-17-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The only limitation I can think of would be to not use anything that would not be ok to place in a cache.... Not size-wise but kid-friendly wise. One example is knives. Of course this is common sense (especially if you have kids).
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

I have a TB or two out there. I like this one...Ekidokai's Okeydokey Mobile It goes with me to most caches.

When I was at the Mega event in Ohio I saw a ton of TB. Refrigerator door with magnetic TB's on it, a 2 foot rubber ducky, Every kind of a hot wheels car you could think of. I saw huge model trucks and planes. I have seen cell phones and coins.

Use this link Midwest Geobash 2009 and go to the inventory and click on history to see the 2500 different TB's that were there.

Anything you can think of can be a TB. The mission helps out with the movement a lot. I picked up several TB's out in Ohio and brought them back to complete their missions.

Something to keep in mind, when you put one out it is goes on it's way. It might disappear from the first place you put it or it might do a lot of traveling. It is a real hit or miss kind of thing. I hear there is a TB about 2 miles under the ocean. Sometimes the TB's get stuck in caches that don't see a lot of traffic. Sometimes the cache gets muggled. Sometimes they just disappear. Then sometimes they go on fantastic trips around the word quickly.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

WOW you folks just blew my idea of a travel bug out of the water !!! a cement block, a fridge door?!?!?!?!?! well i dont think anything I come up with would be that intresting hehe. Thanks for the answers. Way cool!

cant wait to discover the Okeydokey Mobile one day too!!

Default The thing with TB's

I've attached rubber parrots, challange coins and police patches. A few of them have travelled to the islands and off to Europe, but all of them have stopped or vanished. My expectation of TB's is that if you get a few good hops, you've done well. Don't get me wrong, I take a lot of pleasure in sending out a bug. I just don't expect them to last too long.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

I know alot of the bugs "goals" i have read say to go around where ever and then come back to the owner....have any of you actually had that happen or is that a bit to much to expect in reallity

I did a race in 2004 or 2005. 3 Matchbox cars, all had to reach their goal, then return to me. 1 to Washington or Oregon, 1 to Florida, 1 to Arizona or New Mexico.
    The Washington car is still bouncing around the upper midwest, the Florida car disappeared 3 months after release, the Arizona car made it to AZ, then a camping cacher picked it up on his way to Ellsworth! He dipped it in caches all the way so I could follow the progress, then I drove to Ellsworth to meet him and his wife, very nice time.

oh neat ...love the race idea too. what fun. Wonder if the washington car will ever make its way home...that is a long time to be traveling.