vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triton 400 Issues

Default Triton 400 Issues

I guess we bought before we did enough research. The Triton 400 we have seems to want to lose it's lock on the satellites and then reacquire frequently. I upgraded the firmware to 1.78 as soon as I got it...not knowing about what it might do. I'm not satisfied with it's performance in the great outdoors either. When we're looking for a geocache it counts down in the number of feet we are from the cache and if we move away and back again it gives a different reading. For example, if the unit says I'm 3 feet from the coordinates, I can walk a few feet away and walk directly back to the same spot and it might tell me I'm 9 feet away. I got the bundle that included National Geographic's TOPO that gave me some super quads. At one point, had to take the SD card out of the GPS to get it to not lock up. I've e-mailed Magellan to see what my chances are for a refund but I'm not getting my hopes up there. Any suggestions?

Seems you're not the only one to have such bad experiences.

You bought it at LL Bean and can take great advantage of their satisfaction guarantee...right!? And even better...at their outlet where you saved a bunch!? I've seen many of these models at the outlet.....guess I now know why
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I guess I'm glad I didn't get one. I was looking at them at one time.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I wish we bought it from ll bean I would ALREADY have taken it back, but we got it from Magellen direct. I surely wouldnt reccomend it to anyone.

I have one and know that it is not the best for geocaching,but in all fairness mine works great for hiking and laying out routs & trails.I thought that the maps would have been more up to date,like DeLorme's.Oh well live and learn.I had an Explorer 400 before and liked that.I wish I had keep the PN 30.Dial-up is no fun..

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    When we're looking for a geocache it counts down in the number of feet we are from the cache and if we move away and back again it gives a different reading. For example, if the unit says I'm 3 feet from the coordinates, I can walk a few feet away and walk directly back to the same spot and it might tell me I'm 9 feet away.
    Sheesh, get used to it! LOL! Even the best handheld GPS receiver is only accurate to within 9-10 feet. And because the signal strength from a particular satellite is constantly changing slightly (tree cover, cloud cover, GPSr position, etc), the accuracy of the unit is constantly changing.

"Oldtimers" can remember the sling-shot effect. You'd walk to "ground zero" within 3 -5 feet, then the GPSr would suddenly decide that the cache was 50 feet behind you. This was especially bad under tree cover.

WhereRWe, that's what I told my wife was happening. Still, I'm not impressed by hearing the GPS beep to tell me it's lost the satellites and then beep again telling me it's regained them. That's my biggest complaint with the Triton. We're headed out this afternoon and have to stop at Wally World in Waterville for something so we'll take a gander at what they have in stock there. Want to look at Garmin. If we get one, it'll be wife's unit to have and to hold. I did some further research and may try a forced update to see if it helps with the issue I don't care for.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    WhereRWe, that's what I told my wife was happening. Still, I'm not impressed by hearing the GPS beep to tell me it's lost the satellites and then beep again telling me it's regained them. That's my biggest complaint with the Triton.
    That I can't explain. With our Garmin 60csx, we NEVER lose signal except when we go through a tunnel.

Pretty hard to beat the 60csx for anything.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Hey Bruce when you gonna fix the bug with clicking on your GC id on this site. It still brings me to the WhereRwe in Va. LOL
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.