vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Vote For This Project!

Hybrid View

Default Please Vote For This Project!

The following is a link to an article I read the Bangor, Maine Daily News:

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/130424.html

The small central Maine town of Hartland has a chance to win $2,500 in an online contest, to be applied to the construction on their municipal swimming pool. The winner will be the project that receives the most votes. John Clark, the Hartland resident mentioned in the article is my brother-in-law. His hobby is entering contests, and well known in "the sweepstakes community". His license plate reads "I WIN" - and he does: Cars, trips, etc. If he endorses this contest, I think that Hartland has a good chance of winning, but only if they get the votes.

Please vote for this project. (There is a link in the article, but if it doesn't work, use this link: http://www.gatheringswithpurpose.com/).

(Note: Some of you may remember we did a similar thing to try and get an MRI for the Downeast Hospital in Machias. The were close, but there were much bigger towns competing, and they didn't win. Here's a link to the discussion in these forums.)

Thanks! And please forward this message to your friends and relatives.

Bruce

Hartland could use the boost. Do I get a "I voted today" sticker?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Thanks for posting this Bruce. Agreed - Hartland could use a hand. My husband's home town - glad to help out.

And remember: vote DAILY until December 6th.

Sheesh! I have to post this disclaimer...

After going back to the website and reading the rules for the event, it appears that the total prize is $5,000. Apparently, half of the prize ($2,500) goes to the project (the Hartland swimming pool), and half goes to the person who recommended the project to the sponsor.

So... It appears to me that if Hartland wins, half the prize would go to my brother-in-law. (I did say that he was VERY active in sweepstakes...).

Had I known this when I made the plea for votes, I wouldn't have done so. I thought that this was a worthwhile project - and still do - but did not know that my brother-in-law might have had a financial interest in the outcome.

I still encourage your votes, but want everyone to know that I did not know that there was something else involved. I learned of this contest only in the BDN - there was no correspondence with my brother-in-law asking me to support the effort. My "concern" was raised only after I read the contest rules and understood the implications.

Mea culpa...

Default No problem here

No problem at all Bruce. In my business we disclose the possible conflict in writing, as you have done, and we move on. I just voted for Hartland, a nice community. I have friends and clients that reside there and they could use a financial shot in the arm. Go Hartland!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Same, Same. I would love to see Hartland win, and to be honest, if your in-law gains a little, well the money is taxed right? That knowledge wouldn't change my vote at all.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Just tell your brother in law if he wins because of your efforts he has to take you and ALL your friends out to dinner! LOL

I would just like to see money like this go to Maine communities that is why I voted for it.

I voted and dinner sounds good to me too.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I voted again today, and maybe something that used to moo, medium rare for me?