vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin City CITO by Jeremy Bernier/Team Norac GC206T9

Default Twin City CITO by Jeremy Bernier/Team Norac GC206T9

There was a nice article in today's lewiston Sun Journal about the efforts of a geocaching event in cleaning trash out of local walking trails. I was under the weather and not able to attend but I sure am proud and impressed with all the work done by cachers. Nice job all!
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    I was under the weather and not able to attend...
    Having said that, perhaps your signature was not such a good idea:

"I take life with a grain of salt (and a slice of lime and a shot of tequila) "

LOL!

There were two other things going on for us this weekend so we did not attend.... wish we could. These events are important and offer the opportunity to "give back" to the community. There is a CITO event along the Penobscot River each year that I have been unable to attend because it conflicts with a committment I have made to the American Cancer Society during that same weekend. Kudos go out to those who organize these events and to those that take part. You represent well the geocaching community.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    These events are important and offer the opportunity to "give back" to the community.
    Um.... Give what back? Yeah - I get the road in front of the house plowed in winter, but that's offset by the amount I have to pay to replace mailboxes.

I fully support charitable giving and volunteerism, but "giving back"????

Oh come on now you "old curmudgeon"...lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Having said that, perhaps your signature was not such a good idea:

"I take life with a grain of salt (and a slice of lime and a shot of tequila) "

LOL!
    It would take more than a shot of tequila to put me under the weather. (maybe 2 shots...but not one)
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

I agree to all of what you guys have said.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Um.... Give what back? Yeah - I get the road in front of the house plowed in winter, but that's offset by the amount I have to pay to replace mailboxes.

I fully support charitable giving and volunteerism, but "giving back"????

Not to mention our prisons are full of people who have taken and taken, and probably some of them are the ones whose trash is all over the road, and yet they're sitting in a warm place with TV and internet and meals every day! Why aren't they out there "giving back"???

But anyway, it's a nice thing for people to do...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Oh come on now you "old curmudgeon"...lol
    No - I just hate that phrase.

I donate cash to several charities (several of them promoted in these forums: TAT's charity kayak trip, EMSDaniel's pathtags, and even "Pints for Prostates"...). I serve voluntarily on 2 municipal committees, the local library's board of trustees, and the executive board of a regional economic development organization. I don't think I'm a stranger to community service/giving.

But I don't like the term "giving back". I don't owe anyone anything. I have no debts. No mortgage, no car payments, no credit card debt.

And if that makes me a curmudgeon, I'll accept that gladly.

I can see where the term "giving back" might be inflammatory. Giving is hardest when you don't feel you have anymore to give, feel taken advantage of or that it's not appreciated. In the later, you just re-focus the efforts elsewhere.

My kids don't ask to geocache very often. However, they love a good CITO event. And their only comment after this one was that they want me to bring the truck & trailer next year.

I've always taught my kids that it's good to give back. It's a term that comes from the hip, and I'd never thought about it much. It can be quite humbling to serve a meal at the local soup kitchen, stand in line at a food pantry for someone in need that can't, or set an example for others that it's good to help out and clean up nature.

How does the trash get there my kids will ask. In some cases it's harder to dispose of and people take short cuts. Some folks have various mental defects, or just weren't taught differently. I tell them to be grateful that they know the difference.

This World, Country, State, County, City/Town, neighborhood we all live in is based on community. None of us would be able to live for very long w/out the community. Many of the folks that improperly discard trash are ones that do jobs which I'd rather not do. So if I can set an example and give back to the community effort how ever it is that I'm able.....I do my best. And that is all you can ever expect of someone.

If you're curious about the whole trash/clean-up mentality, check out the ignorant comments that were made by folks at the bottom of the linked article. Even if folks don't physically throw out garbage, their mouths make up for it w/another kind of pollution. It's the mindsets we're looking to change, then the actions will follow.

Give back to the whole in what ever way you can and as often as you can...
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!