vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin City CITO by Jeremy Bernier/Team Norac GC206T9

Interesting little article and as mentioned, totally out-of-touch comments at the bottom of the page. Frankly, I would not call the comments ignorant, as that terms implies a lack of knowledge. More so, I would term it boorish and self-serving.
    I do agree with the Thorncraig comment, however. Their loss, I guess.
    Well done, Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    If you're curious about the whole trash/clean-up mentality, check out the ignorant comments that were made by folks at the bottom of the linked article. Even if folks don't physically throw out garbage, their mouths make up for it w/another kind of pollution. It's the mindsets we're looking to change, then the actions will follow.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

WTG Jeremy! I wanted to come but we had other commitments and couldn't make the trip. I have been wanting to do the same thing in the Boothbay area, although I don't think there is nearly as much trash as was picked up at your event! Nice work! Ignore the idiotic comments at the end of the article, your event was a success!

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    WTG Jeremy! I wanted to come but we had other commitments and couldn't make the trip. I have been wanting to do the same thing in the Boothbay area, although I don't think there is nearly as much trash as was picked up at your event! Nice work! Ignore the idiotic comments at the end of the article, your event was a success!
    Most of the people in this area and north support Mainiac1957 with his Brewer CITO event. And yes, I've participated a couple of times. These are a great idea, and I hope they continue.

We're also lucky we have a bottle return law. Having lived in Virginia and North Carolina, I can tell you that cans/bottles create a heck-of-a-lot of roadside trash. Sheesh! Just ask Maine expatriate, Haffy! LOL!

Yeah no kidding and I am in SC but NC is close enough. I think the bottle return law should be a NATIONAL law but I doubt that will ever happen. At least it keeps most of the bottles and cans off the roadsides for those states who have that law.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Excellent comments, Squirrelcache. Nicely stated......

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Excellent comments, Squirrelcache. Nicely stated......
    True, his (her?) words in support of charity are very eloquent, but I think there is some confusion between "giving", and "giving back". Giving is great because it's a good thing to do - helping people in need, or less able to "do for themselves". But "giving back" implies that something is owed, or that you got something from someone else and incurred a debt.

I disagree.

If you google the phrase "giving back" you discover why we often have disagreements or don't see another's viewpoint. It's not a bad thing, just something based our life experiences. Just like the word "ignorant" used earlier....there is often more than one meaning and use for a word. And in that use, I was referring to the other two.

For many...giving back doesn't bring about the feeling of necessity. It often gives us the wonderful visions of Philanthropy, an admirable goal by any standards. Many of the greater Philanthropists I've personally known didn't enjoy the spotlight or speaking of their goals. Sadly, a few misconceptions can erode the invisible benefits of the greatest of efforts.

In the comments section of the Twin cities CITO article, there came about the focus on the choice to use the park for a dropping point. There are many ways you can look at that. They chose to overlook the fact that it was all cleaned up before dark, w/little effort, by using heavy construction equipment. I think next time we should Pile It High in a parking lot right downtown!!! Of course people don't want to see it..... and we'd rather put our efforts into something other than picking up someone else's trash!

Each and every tire we loaded was rolled or loaded in view of cars or neighbors...on purpose, and then I took my over-flowing truck load right through downtown...on the way to the dumpsite. I think the focus should be on Philanthropic efforts....not getting down on perpetrators. And personally......I'm not the type of Philanthropist that likes being used for promotion or self-gain. You won't see me in this event's group picture.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I think that the term "giving back" can have two meanings.
    If you have done well and/or been treated well in a community and want to repay that generosity with financial or time donations to better the community, that can be giving back. It doesn't mean that the treatment or assistance you got initially NEEDED to be returned, but your inside sense of obligation makes you WANT to give back in service or financial assistance.
    I think in Dan's case, he feels a direct connection with his charity as he gained a benefit from it in a time of need and wants to help others in the future with their needs.

Maybe next time I think they ought to pile all the trash collected, in front of city hall and then see what the response is from the citizens of those towns involved. It might make them think twice before making some of the comments that were made,or maybe not. Some people just don't get it.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I agree with Sudonim about 'giving back'. If you live and are successful in a given community, then you have that community to thank (in part) for your success. ie if you own or even work in a coffee shop, most likely the patrons of that coffee shop are people who live in that town. If those customers choose to purchase their coffee from another coffee shop in another town, you may be out a job. So the concept of 'giving back' is not that you "owe" anything but that you give to the community that gives to you.