Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: The Green Outdoors!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I think the newbies ought to have a "newbie tutorial" to get them started, kind of "do's and don't's". For example, while I love seeing new caches in the area I would suggest that noobs don't place any caches until they've logged at least 100 caches. The active members here could add suggestions as to preferred types of caches. Permission could be clearly explained so bad placements could be avoided.

    I think the game is truly gaining steam and we can expect a huge influx of new cachers. Like it or not, we owe to ourselves, and the newbies, to get them pointed in the right direction right from the start. I pledge to do whatever I can to help in this regard.
    There are many of those resources already available on this web site as well as the gc.com web site. Some of the resources on this site are the Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide, Starting out as a "newbie" . . . aka "The Mistakes I First Made", and Ammo Box Camouflage articles. You and anyone else are encouraged to create other helpful articles. Hopefully soon the articles section will be a bit easier to navigate. I'd love to see this site develop into more of a resource site with forums as opposed to mostly forums.

    Back when I started caching is was suggested you find 10 or 15 caches before placing any! I used to agree with this idea as well, but now I realize some people could place a quality cache without ever finding any and others could find 5000 caches and still not follow basic 'common sense' ideas like using a container fit for the location or getting permission when it should be. All we can do is hope to educate as many as we can that need it before they hide a cache whether it's on their first day or 200th. I think a time restriction would be nice, however. Waiting 6 months or maybe as much as a year before you could hide a cache might not make a difference in the quality of that cache, but it might help insure the placer is going to stick with the game.
    Last edited by brdad; 11-25-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Fixed broken links
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,540

    Default Holy crap!

    I have to get on here more often.

    Everything is good.

    I remember way back when I started, 14 months ago. It was an awful lot to take in. The new GC.com website. The new Maine site. Getting the equipment working right. Getting the programs loaded and finding the info to put in them. All the navigating around the forums and the articles. Figuring out all the different trackables and tags. Then figuring out how to actually run the different units.

    It was difficult and hard to figure out which way to go and how to find help. That's why I try and take as many people out for a carnival ride as often as I can. Some at the Geocaching 101 event I help put on had been caching for a while but needed more help and didn't know where to go or what to ask.

    This website is great. It takes a personal touch a lot of the time to give the people what they need.

    If that doesn't work I push them down a steep hill.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Newbies

    It might be helpful if Bruce makes a frequent reference to the first article mentioned by brdad when he welcomes newbies...will point them in the right direction from the outset.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    It might be helpful if Bruce makes a frequent reference to the first article mentioned by brdad when he welcomes newbies...will point them in the right direction from the outset.
    Good idea, but I get a "not found" error when I click on Brdad's links. Email me the links Dave, and I'll try and include them in my message to noobs.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Good idea, but I get a "not found" error when I click on Brdad's links. Email me the links Dave, and I'll try and include them in my message to noobs.
    I guess I need a newbie warning not to try to cheat when posting links!
    The links in my post are fixed and should work for everyone now.
    Last edited by brdad; 11-25-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    There are many of those resources already available on this web site as well as the gc.com web site. Some of the resources on this site are the Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide, Starting out as a "newbie" . . . aka "The Mistakes I First Made", and Ammo Box Camouflage articles. You and anyone else are encouraged to create other helpful articles. Hopefully soon the articles section will be a bit easier to navigate. I'd love to see this site develop into more of a resource site with forums as opposed to mostly forums.

    Back when I started caching is was suggested you find 10 or 15 caches before placing any! I used to agree with this idea as well, but now I realize some people could place a quality cache without ever finding any and others could find 5000 caches and still not follow basic 'common sense' ideas like using a container fit for the location or getting permission when it should be. All we can do is hope to educate as many as we can that need it before they hide a cache whether it's on their first day or 200th. I think a time restriction would be nice, however. Waiting 6 months or maybe as much as a year before you could hide a cache might not make a difference in the quality of that cache, but it might help insure the placer is going to stick with the game.
    I really liked that second article . . . I found it extremely well written and helpful. . . which was surprising since it came from a guy that uses a Magellan.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, ME
    Posts
    631

    Default

    As a newbie, there is ALOT to take in, and the articles on this site have been very helpful (working links or not hehe) Without a doubt newbies will make mistakes, but with enocouragement from the "old timers" in the sport to do things and do them the right way will foster a enthusiasm for the sport.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    OK - I added the 3 articles to my welcome message and emailed a copy to Brdad and Dubord for their comments.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albion, Maine
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    As a newbie, there is ALOT to take in, and the articles on this site have been very helpful (working links or not hehe) Without a doubt newbies will make mistakes, but with enocouragement from the "old timers" in the sport to do things and do them the right way will foster a enthusiasm for the sport.
    It is awesome that you have joined the sport of geocaching but beware of the pitfalls of becoming a "conformist" to those who have a single view of the sport. "Oldtimers" don't necessarily spout gospel. No number of "finds" seperates an expert from a novice. No amount of years makes one a better cacher than another. Carefully weigh all the information you get and apply it to YOUR style. One of the greatest aspects of geocaching is that it caters to each individual and their style. Most importantly remember to have fun.

    The information on these forums is great and an awesome vault of information. Use it to enhance YOUR enjoyment of the sport.

    Cache On!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, ME
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It is awesome that you have joined the sport of geocaching but beware of the pitfalls of becoming a "conformist" to those who have a single view of the sport. "Oldtimers" don't necessarily spout gospel. No number of "finds" seperates an expert from a novice. No amount of years makes one a better cacher than another. Carefully weigh all the information you get and apply it to YOUR style. One of the greatest aspects of geocaching is that it caters to each individual and their style. Most importantly remember to have fun.

    The information on these forums is great and an awesome vault of information. Use it to enhance YOUR enjoyment of the sport.

    Cache On!!
    So far we are having great fun.. Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •