vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 100 Mark

Congratulations!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Cool Stealing WIFI

My understanding is, if you can connect to it, it isn't stealing. If they don't want you to use it, they password protect it. So, if you have a Wireless Access Point and don't password protect it, people can use your connection to the internet. Or, you can have your Wireless Access Point like mine......turned on and you can't access diddly squat with it. Old laptop with wireless card finds it, connects to it but no go when I try to access the internet. It's gotta be something stupid simple that I'm forgetting but it just ain't going for squat.

Congratulations. I think 100th is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by rcwhit View Post
    First of all, our internet is STILL down! We are reduced to hanging out around the outside of coffee shops in the dark to steal WIFI. (NOT any coffee shops in Vassalboro!) You don't really miss something untill you dont have it! Thanks to all for your comments ( at least MOST of you!).
    I want to thank "Hide from the kids" for the MAINE GEOCOIN he gave us! It is almost too nice to send off, but I will someday I guess. Hope I get my internet fixed soon. Does anyone know if the Vassalboro coffee shop has WYFI? Well We'll be talking to you from some place soon I hope. Thanks again everyone. Will be looking forward to meeting some of you at the next get together or on the trails. RCWHIT
    Sheesh! Welcome to "wardriving"! LOL! We've been doing it for years.

The latest laptops are great at finding and indicating a wireless hotspot, but we've found that "Net Stumbler" is great for locating the best connection.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    My understanding is, if you can connect to it, it isn't stealing. If they don't want you to use it, they password protect it.
    We could get Dubord in here for a clarification, but to my understanding, the bandwith does not belong to the homeowner. If you leech a wireless connection from someone, you're "stealing" from the internet service provider.

So..... I do not encourage "stealing" wireless access, but if you park in front of my house, you can get online...

Anybody have a tutorial on how to password protect your wifi? I have no idea how to do that.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

congrats on the achievement level.............as for the other discussion here.......should that move to another thread?

My home wifi is password protected and I authorize those who may use it. ANd it has changed since my last event. A changing environment for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    Anybody have a tutorial on how to password protect your wifi? I have no idea how to do that.
    How completely rude of me!! Congrats on your milestone!!!
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Good job on hitting 100! Hope you enjoyed the fun.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Default Congrats!

Well done on the first and maybe biggest milestone. If you stay at it, caches will start to come much quicker.

As for "using" another's DSL without permission, I believe that is clearly a class E crime, Theft of Services or Theft by Unauthorized Taking. The subjective componet is helping yourself to either the service or the property "without knowledge or consent of the lawful owner." If you get caught, both the internet provider and the owner of the computer could press charges.

Like others, my internet was down all weekend, just got it back this morning. I went to Barnes and Noble to log caches yesterday, legal and great coffee as well.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.