vb:literal>

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Celebrate 2009

Default The Top of Maine

I'd go in a heartbeat! Rick, when do you realistically expect to be at the mountain? Wonder if Bill Green would like to hike up with a gang of us? I'd opt for staging at Chimney Pond when we know Rick's close. Most of us can easily make it up and back in a day from there.

I bet this would be a hoot!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I'd go in a heartbeat! Rick, when do you realistically expect to be at the mountain? Wonder if Bill Green would like to hike up with a gang of us? I'd opt for staging at Chimney Pond when we know Rick's close. Most of us can easily make it up and back in a day from there.

I bet this would be a hoot!
    Yes it would, and I have a non-caching friend who would like to join a group on an ascent. There are caches to do too (Earth type I believe).

Default Katadin

Well, whatever is up there now for caches will change dramatically if we can get Mike (Ekidokai) to go. How about a cache every 600 feet up the Hunt Trail or the Saddle and then down Knife Edge? Whadda you think Mike, is that doable for you?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

No cache containers allowed in the park, but Northwoods Explorer and others have put out some great earthcaches. My wife, my dad and I hiked the Hunt trail last year and got the cache at the top of the mountain. Great climb. The only drag was two weeks later two new caches posted near the trail I was on.
    Guess I gotta go back up.

I have been stocking up on 5 gallon pails to put out. I'm in.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Again - no caches on the trails but the Earthcaches do work. I would love to see an organized effort to get a bunch of us to go AND hopefully it would not conflict with GUIE (aka Get Useless In Eustis) and who knows - any way to make this an event and we might have a good contingent for an Event and a hike to meet Attroll!

So how far is it? How many caches do I need to put together.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I have no clue when I would arrive at Katahdin. I will finish when I finish. I am more worried about finishing. I will buy my Amtrak ticket and make reservation for my overnight stay down there for my start next week. That will pretty much be my no return point for this trek. I am guessing that I will finish sometime in the first couple weeks of September. It all depends on a few things though. I may hike faster then I expect after I get my trail legs. I might have to much fun and slow down or just not be a fast hiker. It also depends on how many town stop overs I have, we call these zero days because they are days which we do zero miles.

It would be very hard to plan a event on the day of my completion. I would only know about a week before my completion day and that would be only a good guess.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I have no clue when I would arrive at Katahdin. I will finish when I finish. I am more worried about finishing. I will buy my Amtrak ticket and make reservation for my overnight stay down there for my start next week. That will pretty much be my no return point for this trek. I am guessing that I will finish sometime in the first couple weeks of September. It all depends on a few things though. I may hike faster then I expect after I get my trail legs. I might have to much fun and slow down or just not be a fast hiker. It also depends on how many town stop overs I have, we call these zero days because they are days which we do zero miles.

It would be very hard to plan a event on the day of my completion. I would only know about a week before my completion day and that would be only a good guess.
    And lest us not forget the proximity of Eustis to the AT.......and the possibilities.....ah, there is a date already set for that event in 2010! So - just keep us posted oh great hiker and perhaps it will all just sort of fall together...don't you think?!

Default Apologies Karen...

In keeping with tradition, we've hijacked Karen's event thread Hope to see many of you there. This concludes this public service announcement.

On a sincere note, Rick.....I wish only the best for you. Safe travels, experiences you wouldn't otherwise have, and a couple of trees, every night, for your hammock. I hope you achieve your goals, whatever they may be. Enjoy and please....keep us informed.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.