vb:literal>

Thread: Memorable Events, Caches ~ Another Take on Which Was Your Favorite?

Thumbs up Memorable Events, Caches ~ Another Take on Which Was Your Favorite?

As I was reading another post - I thought this might be a fun topic. Post about a Memorable Cache, funny, unique, fun - something others might enjoy reading.

Or post about an event - again, memorable, maybe your first event, your most enjoyable event......just some thougts on events.

I can see this thread used to improve cache hides, get new ideas for hides in areas enjoyed by others, get ideas for events and more. If folks don't like the thread it will die its own death.

So - I will start.......My post will be about an event (and I could do some more). My very first overnight event and my daughter joined me. I was petrefied. Perhaps some of the folks there did not know that fact.

I hadn't been camping for years. In fact, I couldn't find my tent and we used my daughters. It was kayakerinme's 2006 Kayak event.

We planned our trip. Packed everything and planned on leaving in plenty of time to get there early and set up. Good thing we did as there was a storm coming........and we got set up ahead of the rain.

Not everyone did - and we all had fun hanging out under the eaves of the bathhouse/laundry and watching the rain fall and the thunder and lightening. I can't say enough about the hearty souls who attended. They didn't know us, but made us feel welcome. In fact, I think after we went to bed they were even trying to be quiet for us as they sat and enjoyed some refreshment and talked.

It was at this event, the host taught Francis Family and me about coins and trackables. Thanks for the intro which turned into a total addiction.

We didn't kayak that weekend (as I didn't have one and my daughter left hers home - plus a bit timid about the ocean kayaking bit) but we did enjoy doing many of the caches in Stoningon while some of the folks were out on the water.

This event made me know I would enjoy this sport and its variety for a long time. I was uplifted by the welcome of everyone, elated to renew my interest in camping and rejuveniate a bond with my daughter.

Hollara, Sounds like you had a great time, rain or not. Where in the Stonington area was that held? That was before my caching days.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

GeoRallye III was very memorable for me. It was my first.

I think Bud's cache was a good one too. it was a long hike up the mountain but when I read the logs in the cache I found a log from two guys that had found the cache earlier and were not geocachers. They were older fellows and they spoke about their time hunting up there and all the good times they had.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I'm not sure that I have one favorite cache but what I love about this sport/activity (is it a sport?) is that it has brought me to so many places I would never have seen or even known about if it weren't for caching. Vaughn Woods comes to mind as a lovely walking path with a beautiful waterfall behind Hall-Dale high school! Who would have guessed?

One of my favorite days was grabbing a bunch of caches in the Owl's Head area. All beautiful spots!

Another one was at a rest stop on the way to Bethel. It was freezing cold in the am and the cache was hidden in the rocks near a rushing stream/river going by. My fingers were going to fall off it was so cold but the view and spot were so nice that I didn't want to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    Hollara, Sounds like you had a great time, rain or not. Where in the Stonington area was that held? That was before my caching days.
    We camped at the Old Quarry Campground and they kayakers took off from their launch area.

I went to the first kayak event at the old quarry campground. I brought a date (we'd been seeing each other for about 3 weeks and she agreed to go camping and kayaking with me). After dinner we were all sitting around the campfire, and Cameo and Donna (Rick's wife) came up to me with bad news. They told me that if I dumped Kim, I couldn't come to any more events (I guess they liked her!). I had no options, 2 years later, we got married

Hey I was there and remember that darned elephant that showed up without an invitation and didn't want to leave...

A very memorable weekend for sure. Here is a photo of Kim enjoying a moment of solitude in the early morning mist catching up on her reading after you kicked her out of the tent...lol

Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default I know the feeling

Useless in Eustis 2008 was my first event and I was a little nervous as well. I really didn't know what to expect, who I would meet or how it would go. Of course, KL put me at ease right off the bat, I fell in love with the area and go back as much as I can, I discovered the nicest campground in Maine and I can't wait to go back up. This to me was geocaching at it's finest. Cache #100 Dr. Mohave (GCEN6D) was my most memorable. Breaking #100 was very cool, and the cache was pretty neat as well.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Hey I was there and remember that darned elephant that showed up without an invitation and didn't want to leave...

A very memorable weekend for sure. Here is a photo of Kim enjoying a moment of solitude in the early morning mist catching up on her reading after you kicked her out of the tent...lol
    Hey, I couldn't kick her out of the tent. It had only been 3 weeks, she brought her own