vb:literal>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stud Mill Road Run, Equivalents?

Default Stud Mill Road Run, Equivalents?

Does anyone know of any massive high density cache runs around the country that are similar to our own Stud Mill Rd. run, outside of Bangor by Ekidokai? I am looking into setting up a similar run that is more accessible to cachers without having to drive 3.5 hours North.... and I would like to take a gander at other similar areas.

Thanks,

~Chadd (Serious Tool)

Look at the rails-to-trails around Conway NH. You can't drive cache to cache, but if you have a bike, or like to walk, you can get 100/day on several different routes. If you want to HIKE instead, Moat Mountain to the west of North Conway has a slew of caches.

Gotcha! I know of both of these spots. The rails to trails runs into Fryeburg as well, I believe? I am looking for for auto accessible caches etc.

I've done some of the New Hampshire Progressive Rail Trail system. I, along with another cacher, did 52 caches in one day, from about 6:30 AM to about 5:00 PM. I stopped because I got my shoes wet early in the day and my feet were getting VERY sore. I ended up with blisters on the bottom of my feet for a couple of days.

If you do this trail, take along an extra pair of dry shoes. It had been raining the day before we did the trail and some of the tracks were submerged (no deeper than my shin, but there was no way around it). If I had some dry shoes, I probably could've done some more caches before the daylight gave out.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

A couple of years ago, I spotted similar trails up in Nova Scotia (in the Yarmouth area) and New Brunswick (near Moncton). I didn't look into them that closely, but I think one was a hiking trail filled with caches and one is along side of the road (similar to Stud Mill). Probably outside your parameters a bit, Chadd, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Gc.com is working on a new virtual cache type just for this purpose. You just log the numbers of all the telephone poles as you drive by. If you can't read the numbers it is okay to just guess. If you feel the telephone poles are too far apart you are allowed to average the numbers on the two poles on either side. These are green caches because you don't waste all the extra gas by stop and go driving. If you don't feel like going out, you are allowed to use the street view feature of Google Maps to visit all the nice telephone poles. Soon street lights, road signs, and litter will be added to the loggable item list.

Seriously, while I may not agree with numbers caching, I do understand attempting goals like 100 in a day. However, I feel when you intentionally place caches for the purpose of making it easier to complete these tasks, it makes that goal so much more valuable. When we know someone who completes a marathon, we feel proud of them, it is a great accomplishment. But what if they changed the length of the marathon from 26 miles to 26 feet?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Ahhhhhh, I think I'm catching on here. There would be no accomplishment if I walked up to the top of a mountain following a path. The accomplishment would belong only to the person who blazed the path in the first place. Why would anyone walk the Appalachian Trail then? How come every toy comes with assembly directions, wouldn't it be an "accomplishment" if we assembled the toy without directions. What if they did change the length of a marathon? ( Wouldn't it be called something else?) Why not have a 5K race, ohhh, nevermind, they do but what I'm reading is that it really isn't an accomplishment. Sorry folks who have ever done a 5K race, these are diminishing the effort of only "true" runners therefore you must stop and not take pride in your ability or desire to participate. Truly sorry. No shortcuts. (not that it is but some perceive it to be) Either adapt or quit running/participating please!!

WHY can't we let people enjoy their personal "accomplishments" without diminishing them continuously? Someone wants to blaze a path to a beautiful pond then why stop them? Why tell the next person who follows that path that they have achieved nothing?

You may have addressed what an accomplishment is but it has raise alot more questions.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

It appears their may be a similar trail somewhere near Salt Lake City - the site of this year's Geocoinfest. Someone mentioned doing 187 in a day.

Somewhere in Colorado 413 can be done in a day.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

logging random telephone poles? I hope you are being sarcastic.....

I look at big trails with caches just for the sake of cache density and numbers to be intriguing and fun in their own right. My most enjoyable and envigorating cache experience so far has been going with two close caching friends to Bangor and hitting 131 in a day on Stud Mill. We had a blast! It's an experience all in it's own.

Thanks for the spots Ekidokai. I'll look up the CO and UT runs. Good post TRF!!! Very good point