vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Geocachers

Default Christmas Geocachers

Hi everyone,
    Santa is bringing a GPS to the Snow Family for Christmas and we are very excited to start a new hobby! We are hoping to start Christmas Day with a hunt around the Caribou area and would love any recommendations for one in the snow. Our son is 7 so no 10 mile treks!
    This website looks great, I've been reading alot of the posts today and appreciate the awesome tips!
    Thanks

When you do a search on the site look for Winter friendly ones. The Guard rail caches and Lamppost caches are good too. Other than that watch the weather and look at the satellite view of the caches. If it has snowed and it has been found since it wont be hard to find. If you are not sure how far it is to get to a cache the satellite view will help.

No matter the terrain listed, the weather or anything else were good boots. Mark you car each time you get out of it and bring a phone.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 12-03-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Winter hints

This took me a while to figure out, so bear with me. When you go to the Geocaching website you will see "my profile", click on that. On the right hand side is "Build Pocket Queries". You can build a list of caches from there that will be emailed to you. I think you can do 5 PQ's a day. In the winter I like to check off "Found in the last 7 days" or "Winter friendly".

One of the things about winter caching, most of the time you can find a "geo-trail" leading you to the area of the cache. Unless you are evil, like some I know of, and create several false trails.

I have two little ones, and my first winter I did not cache a lot. Last winter we went out quite a bit and discovered that it was a lot of fun!! Good luck!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

My wife lets me go out and do a fair amount of geocaching (if I want to, that is, mostly on my day off). If I did any on Christmas day, I might not hear the end of it. I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfamilyadventure View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Santa is bringing a GPS to the Snow Family for Christmas and we are very excited to start a new hobby!
    Don't know if you have kids, but usually kids "below high-school" are fascinated by geocaching. You can sit back and let them find the caches! LOL!

Default My 2 cents

If I were a new cacher going out with a 7 yr old I'd look for "regular" sized containers because a huge part of the fun for kids is the trade items. We took our twin 7 yr old neighbors caching and we never even considered looking for a cache that only contained a log (very boring for 7 yr old twin boys). They spent a lot of time making their trade decisions and had the best time
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    If I were a new cacher going out with a 7 yr old I'd look for "regular" sized containers because a huge part of the fun for kids is the trade items. We took our twin 7 yr old neighbors caching and we never even considered looking for a cache that only contained a log (very boring for 7 yr old twin boys). They spent a lot of time making their trade decisions and had the best time
    Sheesh! What you said applies to adults as well as 7-year-olds! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! What you said applies to adults as well as 7-year-olds! LOL!
    Really Bruce? You have spent 5 minutes trying to choose between a quarter ounce of playdoh or a firetruck matchbox? How cute is *that* !!
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    Really Bruce? You have spent 5 minutes trying to choose between a quarter ounce of playdoh or a firetruck matchbox? How cute is *that* !!
    No question about it, Play-Doh as long as it's fresh. It loses it's taste as it ages.

I agree though, kids love to see what's in there even if they don't take anything. I think it can also teach them a lot about trading fairly. When we took our granddaughter caching in AZ the second day, she actually chose some of her own trinkets before we left to trade without it even being suggested to her and pondered at each cache if the trade was fair. That's a value some adult cachers could learn.
    Last edited by brdad; 12-04-2009 at 09:02 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Personally I think the whole thought of trading fairly is one of the best lessons caching has taught Cole. We always tell him pick ONE thing and he usually does without a big fight.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."