vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rick's trek

Default Rick's trek

'Ok. So here's the deal. Rick is going to do the AT, south to north which means he'll end up on the top of Katadin if he's successful, and there's no doubt in mind that he'll complete the journey.

There are towns and places that the "through hikers" make contact with the rest of the world and I for one intend to follow his journey.

With any kind of luck Rick will know about the time he get's near Monson about what time he'll be in Baxter. If he let's me or any other cachers know, then what a fun "parade" and celebration if will be to join him on the summit of Katadin. While I'm not too sure how many more times my 60 year old knees can make it up to the top, I'm fairly certain I can do it once again. By the time Rick get's to the finish, he'll be a little thin, tired, but very focused and most of us will not be able to keep up but I propose to share a frosty with him at the top! If the timing works out, then I hope other Maine cachers will join in the momentous accomplishment.

There you go, Rick! The pressure's on!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

That sounds great!

Another one who would like to try and make it to the top.

If you're not sure of your abilities, be sure to practice on lesser climbs like Tumbeldown Mountain's Brook trail.

Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is a good place to make a final practice run. If you make arrangements before hand, you can have a friend bring you down.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    If you're not sure of your abilities, be sure to practice on lesser climbs like Tumbeldown Mountain's Brook trail.

Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is a good place to make a final practice run. If you make arrangements before hand, you can have a friend bring you down.
    I have been to Chimney Pond and also done a portion of I think it was Abol Trail. Come Spring I will be trying a few climbs to see. Of course there is always the trek with Tread Lightly LOL

Yes, the pressure is on, as if I don't have enough pressure already.

Once I arrive in Monson I should have a good guesstimate on the day I will summit Katahdin. The only issue will be what the weather is for day of my summit. I might have to postpone it a day.
    Blazing Troll

Default Monson

Monson would be a great place for a breather. A good friend of mine, Mike Witham, is the "rib-master" owner of Spring Creek Barbeque, great place for a rack of ribs. You'll be ready for that kind of food by then!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Yes, the pressure is on, as if I don't have enough pressure already.

Once I arrive in Monson I should have a good guesstimate on the day I will summit Katahdin. The only issue will be what the weather is for day of my summit. I might have to postpone it a day.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Are you planning on any geocaching along the way or strictly hiking?

That's a good idea-I'd be up for it..

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    Are you planning on any geocaching along the way or strictly hiking?
    A GPS will add more weight to carry. I will already be carrying all my belongings on my back for six or seven months, I will consider myself lucky to complete the whole trek. I don't want to add geocaching to it. That might be the little extra that keeps me from completing the 2,178 mile walk. It might be the straw that breaks the camels back as they say. I would love to do it, don't get me wrong but I have to try and get 2,178 miles under my belt in a allotted time. I am afriad if I get side tracked to much I will not have time to completed my original goal.
    Blazing Troll