vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas/Holiday Cointest

Default Christmas

I figured my first post just might as well go to the first person I met after starting to geocache. Our Christmas begins the day after Thanksgiving. Instead of doing black Friday, we do the Christmas tree and go through all the ornaments from Christmas past. Each one has a memory and lots of stories. Then we each find an ornament that represents us for this year to be put under the tree. Now Christmas Eve my husband and I take our grandson to Dover looking at the lights and end up at Foxcroft Academy where Santa and the reindeer are. Then we have to come home because Santa is in Dover so we have to hurry and go to bed. Used to work so well with my daughter, my grandson is so much harder to fool. My daughter and her boyfriend will arrive some time Christmas Eve. Before my grandson goes to bed he will put out cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. This is what he is so excited about because he made cookies that look like trains. Christmas morning we will open the presents when someone wakes up to wake everyone else up. Used to be 12:01 when my daughter was younger but I don't know what time my grandson will get up. He is more interested in going ice shacking Christmas day. That is the only day Papa has off so Papa is going to take him down back to the ice shack. He likes ice fishing but it doesn't top hot cocoa in the ice shack so he calls it ice shacking. They will do that after we have breakfast. While they are ice shacking we will cook dinner, then call down and tell them they have to come up for dinner. After dinner they will go back to the ice shack and spend the afternoon. My daughter and I will take down the decorations and tree. Pack them away for next year plus the new ones.
    Christmas isn't like it used to be but I think my grandson ice shacking on Christmas day will make for a nice memory.

Smile Oh Holy Night

Christmas has been a wondrous event for the Dubord clan for as long as I can remember. Christmas eve was at gram and gramps in Waterville. My grandmother was a phenomenal pianist having used her talent to pay my grandfather's way through law school during the Depressionn. She played the carols and we all sang.
    Being Francos, there was a lot of tourtiere pie and after my dad and uncle Richard got into the Christmas spirits, there were a lot of carols in what I can only guess was rather rough "waterville south end French."

I think I started questioning the Santa situation when a I was about 5. The year before I stayed up all night listening for things on the roof. When we awoke (actually I never slept) there were no presents at all. Mom said we had to go to church and with a little prayer Santa would make an appearance. Well, I had thought I had this figured out and if we went to church, all of us, then there was no way presents would arrive. Of course, when we returned they were all there! I was a believer again and I think it was at least another 10 years before I figured it out.

As I got older, I became an altar boy and it was a huge honor to be chosen to participate in Midnight Mass service. I can still say all the Latin prayers.

My parents always did some form of anonymous giving during the holidays in spite of their modest means. My sister and I have followed suit and it's the part of Christmas that I like the best...best after getting together with my family.

I had added Christmas carols to my repetoire on the piano and enjoy playing them for family and friends. Di says my version of Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire sounds like something Jonathan Edwards wrote!

So I love this time of year and the time spent with friends and family. I'm staying up all night again this year to see what Di and Santa have for us!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Things change for us every year for Christmas...and it will hold true again this year. We try to get the whole gang together once, but it looks like it might not happen this year. Then again, amazing things happen during the holidays so it might all work out in the end. Whatever way it goes, we are okay with that.

Thanks for the cointest Hollora.

Merry Christmas all!

I've enjoyed following this thread - so many great stories and remembrances.

As a father, I just wish our kids would be with us at Christmas - like the "old days". But they're on their own now...

Sheesh!

My Christmas Traditions change slightly every year but I usually try to get my daughter to try to come over for Christmas Eve and we go out and drive around and look at the lights. Then on Christmas Day at some point the family gets together and opens presents under the tree and dinner.

My dad would play carols at the piano and when he sang "O Little Town of Bethlehem" it was the most beautiful song I ever heard. He still plays that for me every year and it still makes my eyes misty

Last edited by pjpreb; 12-21-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: fix photo link
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    My dad would play carols at the piano and when he sang "O Little Town of Bethlehem" it was the most beautiful song I ever heard. He still plays that for me every year and it still makes my eyes misty
    Wish I knew how to post a photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deasy98.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	444  
    Last edited by pjpreb; 12-22-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: attached photo

Wish I knew how to post a photo
    Upload the photo to somewhere online then click this button and select the matching URL.

OR...

If the picture is on your computer, and you're using the advanced post scroll down and click the Manage attachments button and select the file from there. If you're not using the advanced edit, click on the Go Advanced button under the edit box.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Upload the photo to somewhere online then click this button and select the matching URL.

OR...

If the picture is on your computer, and you're using the advanced post scroll down and click the Manage attachments button and select the file from there. If you're not using the advanced edit, click on the Go Advanced button under the edit box.
    I did that. My photo is on photobucket and it didn't work right

I did that. My photo is on photobucket and it didn't work right
    With photobucket, just copy the img code from the image page as shown below. Paste it right directly into the edit box.

Sorry, hollora for sidetracking your thread. I'd post what I do on Christmas, but I'm a curmudgeon in that department too. We usually do have family come over for dinner and a few exchanges of gifts. We'd rather be in some warmer state caching, and one of these years we may just do that!

If that accidentally qualifies for an entry, let my entry count as an extra entry for the next to the last person who posts before the deadline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imgcode.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	445  
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."