vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When not to trust a GPSr

You are looking at the gps more than girlmate is. While she is getting tracked closer to the cache by staying near you, she is able to pay more attention to those little details. You are spending more time looking at the gps. Or, it could be that she simply has a sharper eye for detail. (I know her obsevation is better than mine!). Try going in separately. I don't think it is your gps or technique.

I'm with the others on this - there are a number of reasons that you may be experiencing the variability you describe. It will be difficult to narrow it down to a single factor. I have learned to rely on my GPS only so much when I get within 50-100 feet or so - intuition and keen observation will take you a long way as well. Well, those things work for me most of the time - hehehe - unfortunately, I do walk a way with a DNF on occasion, but I am happy to report that it is not as often as it used to be and certainly not of the magnitude of that blasted Old 470 cache - LOL
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Today, on one of the few times I was at a cache the same time as another cacher, we compared GPS readings. We were BOTH far from the owners readings. I have a very good GPSMap 60C, and they had a basic Gecko - but both were equally far from the owners coordinates.

Go figure...

Talking Good caching

We get close and then I put the GPSr away in my pocket. My navigator has a keen sense of " all things hidden ", and I let him. That's the true spirit of Good Caching. Good luck next trip out.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    Well, those things work for me most of the time - hehehe - unfortunately, I do walk a way with a DNF on occasion, but I am happy to report that it is not as often as it used to be and certainly not of the magnitude of that blasted Old 470 cache - LOL
    So, what about the "blasted old 470? Ever find it? I haven't.

I am proud to say that I did find it!! Though it took a number of trips and some moral support along the way - LOL. All I can say is that the "hint" that brdad gave me after I struggled for a bit is so very true. "Trust your GPS" If you do and you are diligent about searching in that sport, you WILL find it! My fellow cachers probably tire oof my woes and tales of this cache, but I know that my experience has been "enjoyed" by many! I logged each attempt and needless to say, kept the owner entertained for awhile! Though I joke about the mistery of it, I can also say with complete honesty that I enjoyed the challenge!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Smile Old 470 DNF Curse

Ye must log every attempt at Old 470 or be cursed by the dreaded DNF Curse! Just ask Tat!
    muahahahaha

Better hurry in case the rebuilding of Old 470 requires it be disabled, or worse yet, archived!

Default The curse is for real!

That is so true! I logged all 7 of my DNF's and can happily say that because I did I haven't had to return to a cache that many times since - LOL - or could it be that I just haven't let myself get so obsessed again? hehehehe
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Default Ha Ha!

The trick is on you! I love DNF's. The sad part of caching is only getting to log once. With DNFs, you can log over and over, again and again.

Actually, this is was my real idea behind Tidal Cache. I wanted to somehow come up with a cache that people would log more than once. Of course, comming up with a wicked good hide is another way!