vb:literal>

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SeriousTool hits 200. Hides, that is.

Hybrid View

Default SeriousTool hits 200. Hides, that is.

Well, he's gone and done it. 200 hides. A bunch of alerts went off this morning, pushing Chadd over the 200 hide mark. I do believe that's the most in the state, at the present moment.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Default Team Horwich hanging on!

Team Horwich as of 12/19/09 has 235, Serious Tool is at 228.

Stay Tuned, a changing of the guard is imminent.

Northwoods Explorer has 199, Ekidokai has 186

Great time to be a cacher in Maine!

Default Oops!

When did that happen? I knew TeamHorwich was up there, but I didn't think they had cracked 200 yet. Oh, well.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

TearHorwich hid their 200th a little over a year ago, including some which have been archived and some nice older caches which they adopted. While I am not a proponent of large numbers of hides, it seems they keep up with all the maintenance and have placed many memorable caches as well. Kudos to them for that.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Well, as of this morning, Chadd has had some more caches published, pushing his number of hides up to 239. And as I wrote this, I checked on TeamHorwich, and his count's up to 246.

Default Cache Maintenance

Brdad is absolutely right about the effort Jim Horowitz puts in with cache maintenance. On a couple I found ( or couldn't find) that had issues, he immediately archived and had them fixed within a day. Ed and Dave, lexmano and DSKG are the same way. Lots of caches means a lot of responsibility! Congrats and thanks to Chad for all the new caches and good luck and thanks for keeping them all ready to find.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Once the Star Wars Tribute is finished at about 100-120 caches total, I will be stepping back from placing caches, and concentrating on maintaining all of mine, and making some of my early hides more permanent and better! I have been influenced by several Maine cachers in style of hides, from Ekidokai's SMR run, to the Historical hides of Horwich, to the geographically influenced park and grabs of Lex, to the sneaky and devious hides of HD and DSKG! A big thank you is needed for all of these guys for the effort they have put into this sport, and the inspiration each of them has given to me!

. . . and then you get folks with over 1,000 finds and not a single hide to their name. I still can't figure that one out . . . with all of the time to find caches and they can't find one place to even hide a micro? Sorry, it's Monday and I'm feeling cranky again.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    . . . and then you get folks with over 1,000 finds and not a single hide to their name. I still can't figure that one out . . . with all of the time to find caches and they can't find one place to even hide a micro? Sorry, it's Monday and I'm feeling cranky again.
    I'll side with a person who hesitates to hide a cache long before I will one who haphazardly places one or 50 or just puts one out to give back to the community. A perfect example is Lee - She was concerned with hiding a quality cache at proper location and a cache that she felt she could maintain. She also was concerned people may not have a fun time finding it. She was not going to settle for a micro, she wanted to do something that was more unique to the area.

Not to mention, in today's cache density, 1000 finds could be a month or less. I suppose you could use the time a person has been caching as a criteria, but there are many cachers who only go caching a few days year or while on vacation.

I don't believe every cacher has to place caches to "give back" to the community. We have more than enough power hiders to make up for it. There are also some people who should just not place caches either because they have time or geographical restraints, and some who don't or won't pay attention to safe and quality hiding practices (primarily by reading gc.coms Cache Listing Requirements and Guidelines as well as their TOU) which make a positive impact on the activity. And then there are those who won't maintain their caches.
    Last edited by brdad; 12-21-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."