vb:literal>

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: SeriousTool hits 200. Hides, that is.

I checked a couple of log entries, and note that apparently all members of the group resorted to the 'cut-and-paste" method of making online log entries. (That's another thread.) One also has to wonder if all members of the group signed the paper log or, as I have seen, one member of the group signs the log for all. (Sure makes it easier to get 130 caches in one trip!)

Default Can I approach the "rules committee" your Honor?

There's a whole lot of precedent for groups of cachers doing these so called "power runs" or Centum challenges to sign in under a group name. It saves time, doesn't waste space on the logs and certainly seems to be in the spirit of the game, at least to me, the non-purist, I guess.

But there will be those that say, "no log, no find." Damn, it's tough to figure out if I'm doing it right, but by golly, I'm having a ball actually getting outside and doing an occassional cache or two!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    But there will be those that say, "no log, no find." Damn,
    I don't think that anyone checkes the logs to see if everyone that loged a find was REALLY there do they. I'm sure there are some that just log a find to up their totals with out ever going out to find the cache. If that's how they want to play, that's up to them. To me they are missing the whole idea of Geocaching, it's not the numbers, it's the exersice getting there and the fun of trying to find it when you do get there. At least that's why we do it!
    Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience.
    Click here to see my album, "Pictures Don't Lie!"

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    There's a whole lot of precedent for groups of cachers doing these so called "power runs" or Centum challenges to sign in under a group name. It saves time, doesn't waste space on the logs and certainly seems to be in the spirit of the game, at least to me, the non-purist, I guess.
    Sheesh. Precedent. Because everyone else is doing it, it makes it OK. How long will it be before it's OK to log a cache that you've just driven by? After all, it saves time, doesn't waste space on the logs, and certainly saves gas...

Bulls**t.

I'm glad I'm a "senior citizen" - not much longer to go...

And sheesh - don't spam the thread with "we'll be glad when you go"...

Default Too Funny!

Sheesh, I'm not going to drive by caches and call it a log. I go out and find them. I have a whole more lot caches then posts here and with the exception of a 15 hour centum day in New Hampshire where 5 of us chose a team name, I've signed each and every log of every cache I've found. I sense that most cachers do as well, but I do appreciate your sense of humor. And that's not bulls***!

I have an AARP card too, but I'm still receptive to new ideas, new ways to do things and new adventures to experience. I still take a lot from the seniors and how they've done it (precedent) but I like the continous injection of new blood that Bruce kindly welcomes to the game every day. Hope they don't come away with the impression that they will be criticized if they play the game in a new and unique manner.

The best cure for cabin fever and an inclination to post negatively is to go out and find a few caches.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I am a proponent of the opinion that a find is between the cacher and the cache owner. But I also think all or nearly all of us have opinions of what is in the spirit of the game. I would never log as a team, but Lee often does sign for me, though I am always there and have touched the cache at minimal. Sometimes I do the signing for both of us, but my writing is barely legible.

I do believe as humans we often continually slack off in life, and I can see where logging caches without opening them and possibly not even stopping for them becoming more commonplace in the future. And this will happen even quicker if we don't support some sort of 'typical' caching techniques. And no, I don't know what typical is, I only have my personal idea of what I think it is.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Wow.... a lot of naysayers here! I'd hate to have to sign a log of a cache put out by Brdad or WhereRWe.... they may bring in the FBI to do handwriting sample comparison to prove if it was really me who signed the log!

By the way, they have some photos on logs that prove they were there. And if you REALLY want me to, I'll go out and do a random check of physical cache logs to see if they all signed the log.

I really don't want to, but if we are all going to criticize them for ho they chose to have fun caching, I need to check the logs to support them.

I want to see the picture of the guy in the astronaut outfit finding a cache. I'm also a little surprised that Kennebunk PD didn't stop them. Maybe they deftly avoided them?
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Wow.... a lot of naysayers here! I'd hate to have to sign a log of a cache put out by Brdad or WhereRWe.... they may bring in the FBI to do handwriting sample comparison to prove if it was really me who signed the log!
    As I said, it's your cache, you are in charge of validating the logs. It's even in the gc.com guidelines, it is not some standard created by myself, Bruce, or any other so-called naysayers:

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.
    Now, as rcwhit suggested not many cachers validate each and every find. I don't either. If someone logged one of my caches as a group, I probably would not delete the log, at least not before doing a little research and felt that all the people logging were really present. Some "teams" split up and each cacher logs for the entire team with none of them actually visiting all the caches. This is poor form IMO. If someone just posted "I was at 0 feet and there was no cache so I am logging a find anyway", then I would delete that log after sending an email to the logger. If someone brought my cache to an event for everyone to log (which has been done), I would most likely delete those too.

Your hide is yours to determine what is and is not a find. If it's ok with you, let people just drive by and claim it as a find. However, I am still free to express that allowing that is, in my opinion, not a great way to portray geocaching.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."