vb:literal>

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: SeriousTool hits 200. Hides, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Wow.... a lot of naysayers here! I'd hate to have to sign a log of a cache put out by Brdad or WhereRWe.... they may bring in the FBI to do handwriting sample comparison to prove if it was really me who signed the log!
    I have been known to check actual log entries...

The integrity of some cachers has been discussed here in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Some "teams" split up and each cacher logs for the entire team with none of them actually visiting all the caches. This is poor form IMO. If someone just posted "I was at 0 feet and there was no cache so I am logging a find anyway", then I would delete that log after sending an email to the logger. If someone brought my cache to an event for everyone to log (which has been done), I would most likely delete those too.
    I agree 100% with all of the above. If I find people doing that to my caches, I WILL delete the log. It happened once, I emailed the cacher and suggested he delete his find. He didn't. I DID! The pissed off factor was rather high when I finally heard from him. And then, thankfully, he just stopped caching.

I'm not hearing about a lot of "cheating" or the type of bad caching described in this thread. I think that the newbies and the "lurkers" reading these discussions should be able to come away from here with a good idea about what is and what is not ethical caching. Our discussion about the type of caches and cache series is a philosophical issue and try as we may, we're not going to presuade or dissuade folks from their strongly held opinions on that issue. Like brdad says, as long as the discussion is civil, and it is most of the time, then it doesn't hurt the game or this site.

But bogus logging when you haven't found the cache, that's just wrong and we owe it to each other discourage what I call "cheating." Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't the problem is widespread.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 03:41 AM.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Would certainly agree with you. I have my own opinions, happy to share when someone is interested in hearing them, but overall, I feel no need to beat this dead horse. That said, no matter your style or preferences, in the end one should be a responsible cacher and cache owner. Now....should we continue the discussion of what constitutes "responsible"?

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Some "teams" split up and each cacher logs for the entire team with none of them actually visiting all the caches. This is poor form IMO. If someone just posted "I was at 0 feet and there was no cache so I am logging a find anyway", then I would delete that log after sending an email to the logger. If someone brought my cache to an event for everyone to log (which has been done), I would most likely delete those too.
    I agree 100% with all of the above. If I find people doing that to my caches, I WILL delete the log. It happened once, I emailed the cacher and suggested he delete his find. He didn't. I DID! The pissed off factor was rather high when I finally heard from him. And then, thankfully, he just stopped caching.

I'm not hearing about a lot of "cheating" or the type of bad caching described in this thread. I think that the newbies and the "lurkers" reading these discussions should be able to come away from here with a good idea about what is and what is not ethical caching. Our discussion about the type of caches and cache series is a philosophical issue and try as we may, we're not going to presuade or dissuade folks from their strongly held opinions on that issue. Like brdad says, as long as the discussion is civil, and it is most of the time, then it doesn't hurt the game or this site.

But bogus logging when you haven't found the cache, that's just wrong and we owe it to each other discourage what I call "cheating." Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't the problem is widespread.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I don't think it is locally, either, but I think the sport would slowly move toward that level if some effort was not taken to counter it. Again, I am not for making new rules, I am for promoting practices that keep the game respected by cachers and non-cachers.

PS: If either of the past two posters would like their quoted text fixed, give me the ok and I'll fix it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    PS: If either of the past two posters would like their quoted text fixed, give me the ok and I'll fix it.
    Sheesh! Time for another tutorial! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Time for another tutorial! LOL!
    The tutorial is simple. When you only want to quote a portion of someone's post, make sure you don't cut out the [/QUOTE] at the end!

Pm28570's only mistake was quoting a poorly quoted post!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default I'm still a beginner!

Woops! Sorry about screwing up the quote box. Feel free to fix it. Hey, Dave, can you direct me to the tutorial you did on getting the site name on caches we publish? I added it to all my caches a while back and want to add it to the new caches I recently put out. Thanks!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I can understand signing with a team name in certain situations where time and prizes may be at stake...lol. When doing GeoRallye III, we signed the caches we found as our team name, Team #10, but logged each cache individually on the site with our own names. When doing as many as the SMR series though, each log was signed individually. When going up to Eagle Eye Stash, we had a decent size group but everyone signed the log individually. The Rallye type events, I can understand using a team name but if you have a large group of friends doing the SMR, whats the big deal with taking the time to write your own name? You're there for the experience, so experience what its like to sign your name 150 times...If you were by yourself you'd take the time to sign, why wouldn't you want to leave your mark just the same with friends?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

If bogus logging of caches was widespread, I'd have 900,000 finds already. I don't think it is as widespread and as big of a problem as we think.

However I do think that the logging of caches as teams, especially two person teams is. When two people share a Geocaching user name and only one of those two finds a cache, but both get credit for finding them... does this allow the both members of the team to claim that they have made the find? It doesnt and SO.... I think that everyone should have their own count of finds they actually made. This should make any bragging about numbers at event caches much more reasonable for teams of cachers.

Am I being sarcastic? Yes. Am I going to go check logs? No. Do I think people have been bogusly logging my caches? No. And if they are, they are only cheating themselves.

Oh, and Dubord, I know how sneaky you are and as such don't believe you really found ANY of the Star Wars series this past weekend and am going to delete your logs :-)