vb:literal>

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: SeriousTool hits 200. Hides, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    As I stated before, I don't think it is as much of an issue locally, but it may be more of a problem than you think and without education new cachers have no idea. It all depends on what you call "not in the spirit" or "cheating", and how much you think it degrades the game for the rest of us.

There was an event just last weekend out of state. Only 40 people were allowed to attend because of allowed space at the campground. I counted 14 different accounts logged to the event, and between those there are 319 attended logs. Many logged multiple times for each temporary event cache. One newer cacher had 90 cache finds before the event and 152 finds after - 62 logs on one event! It's hard to call these people cheaters - they obviously consider this the norm, but it sure makes the rest of us cachers look like a bunch of idiots nor is it in the spirit of the game in my opinion.

I could give you a ton of links that are questionable about being in the spirit of the game, and another list of those that most would consider cheating to some degree. Very few locally. But give it time, it will come.

And for those that do cheat by creating bogus logs, I don't agree that they are only cheating themselves. Just like when a sports player or other public figure gets caught cheating it really degrades the sport or venue that person is involved in.
    An event like this is why this thread (IMO) is valuable to new cachers. When I was at one of my first events, there were "pocket caches" that people were logging. "Cool" I thought, I can get 5 or 6 logs at one spot. A couple of days after I multiple-logged the event, I read a post from another attendee of the same event and why they weren't going to log the event more than once. I agreed with their thoughts and retracted all but one of my logs. I just didn't know better at the time.
    It's like golf, you play the way you want to play, kicking the ball to improve your lie is fine for some, not for others. This is a solo sport (sometimes played with others) and your interpretation of the rules dictate how you play (and more importantly, enjoy yourself).

Default That was my thought also, TRF!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Oh no, not a formal request for geo-police?
    Dave, please sleep at night and stop troubling yourself with the quality of our geocaching experiences!

Complete agreement will never be attained, so "Why Worry, Be Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    Dave, please sleep at night and stop troubling yourself with the quality of our geocaching experiences!

Complete agreement will never be attained, so "Why Worry, Be Happy"
    That's like saying everyone will never agree with what the gov't is doing, so let them do what they like!

Don't worry, I'm not going to post it unless I think it's good for everyone.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Geo-phuzz

Default Stupid is as stupid does!

I have to laugh at some of the things cachers do "by mistake" and apparently other things that most here would agree just aren't right.

So I confess to a newbie mistake very early in my caching career and that was logging a find on a cache that I placed!! I got a gentle "nudge" from maniac1957 politely advising that most cachers don't log finds on their own caches...saw the logic in that and deleted the log!

I would think that anybody reading this thread would be walking the "straight and narrow" when they post finds!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I have to laugh at some of the things cachers do "by mistake" and apparently other things that most here would agree just aren't right.
    Sheesh! Don't get me started on dogs that "place caches" that their owners then log...

Default Dogs placing caches?

Has that really happened? I suppose it could, but c'mon! I did have a client many years ago that got himself in a lot of trouble with the IRS. He had a Great Dane with a lot of health issues so he added the dog as a dependent on his tax returns. The kicker was when the dog died and he tried to deduct "burial and estate" expenses! Uncle didn't buy my offering that the whole thing was just "an honest mistake." He had a 45 day period where he was unable to cache, go to work, play golf or sleep in his own bed!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Has that really happened?
    Yes it has, the dog has his own account, nearly 3 times the number of finds you have and the owners of the dog have logged finds on his hides. The only reason outside of the acquisition of numbers I have heard is they probably log them to get them off their nearest caches list.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The only reason outside of the acquisition of numbers I have heard is they probably log them to get them off their nearest caches list.
    Sheesh! I don't think so...

And this is a perfect example where most would not really call this cheating - there is no effort to deceive (at least IMO), but it certainly seems to be not in the spirit of the game in most people's minds, and makes a mockery of the game (IMO). Can you imagine watching a TV spot on geocaching where a reporter takes a family and their cat out to the nearest lamp post, they place the cache under the cats name, and then go back out and find the cache. That certainly would not have enticed me to start caching!

This is also the reason I have no interest in comparing any cacher's numbers against any others. I won't deny anyone their finds, but we each put different effort into any cache. I alone know what effort I put into my finds, you know what effort you put into yours. And the dog knows what effort he put into his.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-12-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!