vb:literal>

Thread: Trail Report for Augusta

Default Trail Report for Augusta

I got this email this morning (I'm connected, what can I say) regarding the trails as it relates to cross-country skiers (A.K.A crazy people who like the snow and cold) here in Augusta. Knowing there are many caches along these traisl I thought those who cache and cross-country ski would may appreciate it. C/P below --> Be Safe

Season's Greeting to All
    It's nice to have good snow before the holidays - too bad the big storm went out to sea before reaching us.
    Augusta Trails - Nordic has begun grooming in the Augusta area. Dave and Ian Simard have been busy rolling and grooming multiple trails. Pine Tree State Arboretum has several kilometers groomed in the fields and Dave is beginning to groom in the woods. Most of the streamlets have frozen and now need a covering of snow but are skiable. For a quick ski, a wide skate and classic loop has been groomed at the Buker Rec Center. Designed for the Bill Koch program, it is 1.5 km in length.
    Several loops have been groomed at Bond Brook as well. Because of some joyriding in the cemetery after the first snow, the City has closed access to the back parking lot for now. It does add 400m of flat warmup and there is a nice classic track to double pole. The airport access road has been groomed to the stadium and beyond to create a nice loop and a loop in the stadium is packed as well. Be careful as the downhill is quite fast.
    Another trail from Augusta Public Works leads up to the parking lot by the waterline. It is quite quick as well on the downhill.
    The initial logging operation to finish clearing 2-3km in the woods is slated to begin this week and so I hope we can have those trails ready early in January. Come out and ski the trails and bring your friends. Just remember to be careful and ski safe.
    As you know, Augusta Trails is a non-profit corporation created to help develop four season trail networks and support other organizations and their trail networks. To that end, we need your support to continue to build and maintain these trails for the enjoyment of all. Please consider joining Augusta Trails at whatever level you can so that these activities can be maintained and expanded for the future. Thanks to those who have already joined and look for quick updates on Facebook - Augusta Trails.
    Happy skiing!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Default Augusta

Dave at the Arborteum is a real character. I went there twice in winter months on FTF chasing. Both times he went with me and after I finished he helped me dig out the first caches placed in the area, pre-mapachi era.

Just remember, the snowshoe trails are for snowshoes ONLY and same with the ski trails. Dave will let you know if you get it wrong!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

So if you dont own skis or snowshoes your out of luck till spring???

I'm sure if after the trails are groomed and hardened you could probably walk any of the trails but I could be wrong.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Walking on the trails

I tried doing it once and Dave was on me like stink on....! He's rather particular and doesn't want "footprints" on the trails. Might be important for sure on double-track cross country trails, but I don't get it on the snowshoe trails. I think the rules are very clearly spelled out on the kiosk at the trail head.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default contact info

Tried google search with no results.....is there a web site or more information for those of us not familiar with the Augusta area?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I tried doing it once and Dave was on me like stink on....! He's rather particular and doesn't want "footprints" on the trails. Might be important for sure on double-track cross country trails, but I don't get it on the snowshoe trails. I think the rules are very clearly spelled out on the kiosk at the trail head.
    See how much I know?....lol Thanks for the info Dan
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Yes thanks for the answers.
    Guess snowshoes will have to go on the Christmas list 2010!

Checked last night and all the big snowshoes were sold out at Wal Mart.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

What? They won't let everyone play the way they want to play????

Actually, it's quite neat in this day and age that we get something so *trivial* as Augusta trail reports (That's not meant to belittle your post, TRF). Almost every time something like this is brought to my attention, I can't help but think what a great time and country we live in. We have great technology and a safe place to enjoy the day. Don't take it for granted!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."