vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod touch/iPhone Geocaching apps

Default iPod touch/iPhone Geocaching apps

I apologize if this has been discussed before...(I checked past threads and couldn't find anything), but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Geocaching app for the iPod touch or iPhone. Just wanting some first hand opinions from the experts before I forked over $9.99.

Default I made the mistake..

If you have the iphone then go for it. I have a ipod touch and it is basically useless. The only way it works is if you have a wifi connection. It says you can get your PQ's on it, but I've yet to figure out how.
    Happy Trails!

I have the iPod as well and would be interested in it mostly for the cache description pages etc. I do my own form of "paperless" caching which involves me downloading the coords, reading the description and then attempting to find. Works fine when I'm going out for <10 (most of the time), but it would be great to have the descriptions and hints sometimes. I just can't bring myself to waste paper/ink/money on printing.

So...I think my question is..if you have this app mainiac, can you SAVE the descriptions for viewing at a later time...like when you are out of WiFi range??

Default ??

That I am still trying to figure out. If I do I will post it here.
    Happy Trails!

I have the Iphone with the Geocaching app. It works real well when I find myself outside of the caches I've loaded into the gps and when I haven't loaded the latest caches. Of course, you can only find caches when there is a signal.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

This is why I like Cachemate for android Can load all of maine into it and you are good to do, even update from your pq's when they come in

Default Android

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    This is why I like Cachemate for android Can load all of maine into it and you are good to do, even update from your pq's when they come in
    I haven't used Cachemate as I'm cheap and I don't have extra $$ for anything these days but I do have a Droid phone and utilize GeoBeagle. Seems like a very good app. I also drop the whole states worth of PQ's into it just because I can and its quite accurate. You get the integration of using Google Maps for turn by turn, a button taking you directly to that caches page, and if for some reason you don't have signal, it stores the info and last 5 logs on your SD Card. Being that it comes with a 16GB card and is expandable to 32GB, I could probably load the whole darn US or world.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    I haven't used Cachemate as I'm cheap and I don't have extra $$ for anything these days but I do have a Droid phone and utilize GeoBeagle. Seems like a very good app. I also drop the whole states worth of PQ's into it just because I can and its quite accurate. You get the integration of using Google Maps for turn by turn, a button taking you directly to that caches page, and if for some reason you don't have signal, it stores the info and last 5 logs on your SD Card. Being that it comes with a 16GB card and is expandable to 32GB, I could probably load the whole darn US or world.
    You'll probably need to pay for an extra account or two to get all those PQ's.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post

I have used both and still have Geobeagle on my phone I just did not like it as much as the web searching did not filter out finds when I was in an area that I did not have loaded as I found that Cachemate ran a little beter. hangs a little on pocket queries but i do have 5251 caches loaded.

I started using the Geocaching App. for the iPhone about a month ago. I think it is pretty slick. I have yet to try using it to actually find a cache, and dare I say WILL NEVER use it for PLACING a cache ha ha..... but do enjoy it's capabilities for logging a find on site which can be handy if it is an FTF you are logging so any other FTF runners in the area will hopefully see that the cache has been found. I also like it for getting information on the fly about notifications of cache publications. On my old cell phone, I got a text message notification but had to get to a computer to get the cords and cache info and upload it to my PN40. Now I can access it on the road very quickly and can punch in the cords on the PN40 and get the rest of the cache listing there on the phone. I haven't used it for much other than those things yet and doubt that I will.

I use Safari on the iPhone to update cache listings on the fly, or enable or disable my listings if need be.