vb:literal>

Thread: NEW - Handling your Pocket Queries via GSAK's Get Mail function

Hybrid View

Default NEW - Handling your Pocket Queries via GSAK's Get Mail function

There have been a few changes so I have updated the process to run the Get Mail process via GSAK.

Several times a week I update all unfound caches in my Home area. Depending on the day of the week I have between 2 and 5 PQ’s that are generated by GC.com. Once you have your PQ’s set up properly and you are receiving the proper information you should be ready to tackle the GSAK settings.

The first step is to set up a dedicated Email account for your pocket queries. I use a Google Mail account (IT’S FREE!) because Google mail handles files in a way that makes this work best. I tried Outlook and had problems. So I recommend the Google Gmail route.

In registering and opening your Google mail account give it a unique name. When you have that all set you have to configure your forwarding information. You should use POP Mail in Gmail – I use this and it works very well)!

To configure your POP account Click on Configuration Instructions in your Gmail account. Select your email client from the list and follow their recommendations.

The second step needed is to create the directory that will handle your PQ Zip Files. I have a directory that is dedicated to this on my hard drive C:/temp/geomail that I use for all my geomail zip file work. Create it and name it what ever you want, just make sure you know where the directory is and what you have named it.

The third step is to open GSAK (be sure you have the latest version) and go to the File section and click on Load/GPX/LOC/ZIPFILE tab. Use the following screenshot to help you fill in the necessary information (be careful not to miss any of the boxes that need to be checked).

See Attactment 1: PQsLoadandDelete

Once you have the setting as listed with your particulars filled in be sure to save it as PQsLoadandDelete or whatever you want to name it. Be sure to click the Save Tab.

Step four also takes place within GSAK. Open your GSAK program and Click on File > Get Data via Email. Here is the screen shot of the GetMail settings (again be careful to check the necessary boxes):

See Attachment 2: movePQtoHome

As above be sure you save the GetMail setting by clicking on Save and naming it. In my case movePQtoHome.

Now you need the Macros that make all the important things happen.

The easiest way to do this part is go to online to the GSAK Website and grab the GETMAIL_Delete Archives.gsk Macro. The link is: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?show...=0&#entry41207

When you bring this into your GSAK program it will install it properly. Make sure you have the proper file names in the macro. Mine looks like this:

#*******************************************
    # MacVersion = 1.1
    # MacDescription = Run GETMAIL to grab PQ, Delete caches not included as they are archived.
    # MacAuthor = KFBradley
    # MacFileName = GETMAIL,Delete Archives.gsk
    # MacUrl =http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6867&view=getlastpost
    #*******************************************

GETMAIL Settings="movePQtoHome"

LOAD Settings="PQsLoadandDelete" Database="home" ShowStats=No

Now you are ready to run the whole Macro. You start by testing it in stages.

First run your Get Mail via Email from GSAK. If it completes without stopping or generating an error message then your setting are all OK.

Second run your Load GPZ/LOC/ZIPFILE called PQsLoadandDelete. Click OK.

No go to your Gmail Account and un-archive the PQ’s you just ran.

Make a Macro Button in GASK and add it to your Menu Bar naming it “Get Mail/Pocket Queries” and point it to the GetMail_Delete_Archives.qsk macro in the GSAK Macro Directory. If you have done it all correctly you should be able to click the Macro Button you just created and watch the whole macro run and exit GSAK.

You handle all your Pocket Queries with just the click of one button.

If you get error messages or if the macro aborts you need to make sure it actually has a Pocket Query in the Google Mail Account.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetMail.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LoadGPXFile.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	447  
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

And all this time I have had the PQ's sent to me via email, saved them and dropped them into GSAK. This would be easier. Thanks.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    And all this time I have had the PQ's sent to me via email, saved them and dropped them into GSAK. This would be easier. Thanks.
    Sheesh, yes! Not everyone takes geocaching as seriously as you do!

I like the thoughts of clicking one button instead of dragging everything into GSAK. Now, to learn how to do everything to get it to work. LOL

I've used a similar process for some time now for the PQs for my stats and it works great. I'm not going to go into what I do differently because it would just confuse everyone without adding any benefit.

Dick, it would be great if you made this into an article. As an article, it will be easier for members to find and you will also be able to edit the text as needed at a later date.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Tell me how and I will do it.

I see how to do it. I will work on it this evening.

I do some things differently as well, this is just the basic way to do it.