vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Fever 2010

Default Cabin Fever 2010

I sent in the reservation request for Camden Hills Ski cabin today. I've requested Jan. 22-24th, with the back up being two weekends later. For those of you that didn't hear about last year's event, it's a hike to a cabin. You may stay overnight if you wish, but you need to bring sleeping bags, mattresses, etc. We ate well and got out for some snowshoeing and sight seeing. This is how last year's listing was described.

Welcome to an overnight at Camden State Park!
    Tat, LaRoche and I checked out this site a couple of weeks ago and were not disappointed. There is a ski lodge where there are 6 bunks (no mattresses), a wood stove, tables, and lots of room to sleep on the floor. Outside there is a vault toilet, a firepit, a fireplace, and lots of room for tenting. From the main campground on US Route 1, the cabin is 2 miles along a snowmobile trail. There is plenty of parking. After parking your car, go straight through the camping area until you see a snowmobile trail on the left. The trail will immediately fork, the left fork goes up to Mt. Megunticook, stay to the right to the cabin. The trail will climb sharply the first 3/4 mile and then is somewhat flat.
    For the more adventurous, It's a 2.8 mile snowshoe in from the road at Steven's Corner. . There is a large parking lot there. It's uphill, but gradual, with some ups and downs.
    Snowmobiles are allowed and the trail right to the cabin is a snowmobile trail. So, for those of you that don't want to snowshoe or ski in, you might be able to hitch a ride with someone. Snowmobiles may start at either end.
    We've got the cabin reserved for Friday and Saturday night. There are caches in the area, and some great hiking or snowshoeing. Bring some board games, reading materials and cards. Relaxing is allowed!
    Terrain is rated 3.5, based on winter condition, the gradual climb and special equipment may not be needed. If you have any questions about the difficulty, what to bring or how to prepare, let us know.
    Meals:
    Saturday Supper: Pot Luck – Bring something to share
    Sunday Breakfast: Tat is cooking for all!
    Other meals: On your own

I'll be listing this year's as soon as I get official confirmation on the booking.

Default I'll be there

Had a blast last year and won't miss it this year unless a problem arises.
    Happy Trails!

I am hoping this year maybe I can make it. No work on Saturday so may try the trek........we will see. (Friday night would be out as I don't get out til 5P.

Default I've got it booked

The cabin at Camden Hills State park is now booked for Friday, January 22nd to the 24th.

I hope the weather cooperates long enough to let us get to the cabin. Once we're there.... I don't care. It was so much fun last year and we were comfortable.

I'm now just waiting for MainePublisher to do his magic and approve the event.

Prefer not to hike in alone (or is anyone taking a snowsled? Jake, where are you?). I can't leave until Saturday morning but could leave early. PM me if you are going in Saturday. I would like to stay over. Thanks for hosting this again KK!

PS - if you are willing to go with me - it make take me a while to make the hike - but I do keep going. I have references.

If I come I will be coming up on Friday. I am thinking about staying outside in my hammock. Are there a couple of trees to hang my hammock from?
    Blazing Troll

This is a perfect place to hammock!

I can't wait!!

There's even a rumor about Sunday breakfast and it could involve eggs.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

If I go, I cannot stay until Sunday so I will miss breakfast.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Prefer not to hike in alone (or is anyone taking a snowsled? Jake, where are you?). I can't leave until Saturday morning but could leave early. PM me if you are going in Saturday. I would like to stay over. Thanks for hosting this again KK!

PS - if you are willing to go with me - it make take me a while to make the hike - but I do keep going. I have references.
    I want to see those references! Oh yeah, I could be one of them. You are a trooper hollora!

I am willing to pull my empty sled to the parking lot and fill it up for the trip back up to the cabin. Not everyone has lightweight equipment and the experience that some of us have, but they have the heart to do things. That's all that is needed. I know that there are others that will come meet others at the parking lot. I know some "beginners" that we had at the first winter campout are now some of our best campers/winter hikers.

Besides, who cares how fast you hike? Isn't about having great company around you? Please, please, please, if any of you think you'd like to give this a try, contact me. I can see if we can set you up.