vb:literal>

Thread: Herbie To Be History

Default Herbie To Be History

Just sitting on the couch here in MA reading the morning paper when I was shocked to read that Herbie will be cut down very soon.
    http://www.telegram.com/article/20100108/APN/301089754
    We love Herbie and visit whenever we travel to Maine. Hope the cache GC17D9X remains as a reminder of this great Elm tree.

Anniebananie

Waterville, in central Maine, is nicknamed "Elm City", but there are none there now.

They truly were a majestic tree...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Waterville, in central Maine, is nicknamed "Elm City", but there are none there now.

They truly were a majestic tree...
    Add the words "stringy", "gnarly" and "good heating" to those adjectives.

I like elm a lot . . . thanks to many elm and Dutch Elm Disease I was kept nice and warm last winter since I was short on time and thanks to DED most of my wood for last year came from standing dead elm which was almost seasoned even before I cut and split it.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Sorry to see the old giant go. It is a majestic tree!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I'm hoping to obtain one of the items that will be made from Herbie to commemorate the tree and maybe use it as a travel bug? Not sure if the cache will remain...seems weird to bring people to a spot where the tree was...unless the put a plaque there or something it will probably be archived at some point.

I wonder where Herbie's successor lives. I have a large elm, but doubt it's any kind of record and certainly not even close to 10 tons!
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

As Paul Harvey would say....."and now for the rest of the story." I think that half of the Herbie story is Frank Knight. We've seen a lot of so-called tribute caches. Here's a great reason to name a tribute cache.
    http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/101-year-old-frank-knight-ends-battle-to-save-240-year-old-elm-tree/19308792?icid=main|main|dl2|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fwww .sphere.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2F101-year-old-frank-knight-ends-battle-to-save-240-year-old-elm-tree%2F19308792
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Thumbs up Great article Paul, thanks...

I have been by Herbie and have done the cache there. I am heading to Falmouth in a bit and I will stop there and take one last look. Also Quilting Mom can do that cache as well. It sure is some tree.
    Happy Trails!

I believe the final count on Herbie was 217 years old making him a sapling during George Washingtons second term. Quite the life span. Hopefully they do some really cool things with the wood.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry