Around the country some reviewers have placed additional restrictions on the placement of large series of caches along a route, similar to our Stud Mill Road or the Star Wars caches. While I can understand that issues are presented, it would seem like excessive regulation of these placements is not wise.

I am planning a 4 state swing next weekend which will take me into Arkansas. In planning the caches I was excited to find the Main Haul series of caches, 29 caches along a former logging road. I corresponded with the cache owner and he advised me he was extending the series and would finish it before our visit. He advised me yesterday that his reviewer has adopted some "power trail" review standards and he cannot finish the series as planned.

I joined the Arkansas geocachers site to see what I could learn and here it is

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWalla
Due to the number of power trails I have started to receive for review, I have decided to implement a few “rules” and limitations for the publishing of these power trails. These limitations are not explicitly covered by the Cache Listing Guidelines / Requirements, but Groundspeak has advised the reviewers that these types of rules can be used at the discretion of the reviewer.

1) I will limit publishing caches from each power trail owner to only 5 caches per day.

2) I will not publish the caches in their numerical or geographical order. If you have any particular order that you want me to publish these caches, you should submit them in the desired order, but only 5 per day. Otherwise, I will select the 5 each day at random so that they are spread out over the entire course.

3) When you submit the first caches for the power trail, please tell me the total length of the power trail. In other words, how many miles will it cover? Also, I need to know the total number of caches that will make up the power trail. Currently, I am not limiting the length or number of caches, but a limit may be set later.

4) Caches in a power trail should be separated at least 0.25 mile. This separation is to allow another cacher to place a cache in between, if they choose. However, using this to intermix two separate power trails will not be allowed.

5) I will not publish more than one power trail by a cache owner in a 6 month period.

The basis for many of these limitations may be found in the section on cache saturation in the Cache Listing Guidelines / Requirements, which states,
Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. The ultimate goals of the saturation guideline are to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist and to limit the number of caches hidden in a particular area, especially by the same hider. Groundspeak may further restrict cache listings in areas where cache saturation becomes a concern.
I appreciate your cooperation in the submitting of future power trails.

Chuck Walla
Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer
(The emoticons were added by me at the most offensive areas in my opinion.)

I take my hat off to and raise a toast to MainePublisher, Long May He Review!!!