vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Trails

Default Thanks again Tat

When we thought up the idea we contacted Tat and asked his advice as the reviewer. He simply asked that we submit them early so that he would have time to review them. We did and also asked that they all be published at once and they were. I again want to thank Tat for all that he did!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Yea, I slipped 8 more caches to review at the last minute, on the evening of March 31st. The guy, never complained. We are all lucky we have such a great pubisher.

Well, he didn't kill me, punch me or even say a bad word that I heard. After springing 125 caches on him out of the blue, he would have been justified, so he's OK by me.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Well, he didn't kill me, punch me or even say a bad word that I heard. After springing 125 caches on him out of the blue, he would have been justified, so he's OK by me.
    He wasn't the one you had to worry about.

Truthfully, I do my best to separate my opinions of hides from owners. While I may not agree with the placements, you're great guy and proved yourself a valuable member of the community. Of course that doesn't protect you from a "What were you thinking!?!?!" comment on occasion.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I never minded the park and grab caches, as long as it was one or two here and there. This past week I was driving back home with the gps on. The road was prob 30 miles of roads with no power lines. Every few tenths of a mile there was a film canister hanging from a tree. I stopped at most of them, but as i was driving I was actually getting angry that there was so many film canisters hanging from trees when a better cache could have been placed, in a nearby spot with a view. I debated driving past them all, but then I found a really cool cache mixed in. It was at a nice brook, and had a ledge with lot of cracks. It was a lock-n-lock. Awesome.

After a few more film canisters hanging from trees, I just said the heck with it and drove on.

This makes me think, Is there a way to create an attribute for a power run series, that way I can filter it out of my caches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikenfish View Post
    This makes me think, Is there a way to create an attribute for a power run series, that way I can filter it out of my caches.
    There is no attribute, and I think it would be hard to define caches which are not part of a power trail but which are in the same area and are relatively easy.
    I have on a few occasions in cache dense areas just driven until I was at a nice location and then checked for a nearby cache, skipping over all the others.

One Idea posted to the UK forums a while back was to have an attribute set which would specify what the cache was placed for (Power Run, tricky hide, long hike, quick find, scenic or historical, etc.), which I thought was a decent idea. It would still be up to the cache owner to provide accurate information. While some of the attributes are similar to the current attributes, WHY the cache was placed might better define whether you want to do a cache or not.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    One Idea posted to the UK forums a while back was to have an attribute set which would specify what the cache was placed for (Power Run, tricky hide, long hike, quick find, scenic or historical, etc.), which I thought was a decent idea. It would still be up to the cache owner to provide accurate information. While some of the attributes are similar to the current attributes, WHY the cache was placed might better define whether you want to do a cache or not.
    This is exactly the type of thing I was thinking. That way if I feel like doing a run of caches, I can leave it in the filter. I do not I can filter it out.

To be clear, this string of caches was not a "power run" It was just a bunch of film canisters hidden in trees about 6 feet up, over and over, With very few actual sights. There was an old truck that was neat. Thats it. There were a few cool caches mixed in that I would have missed if i had driven past all the caches.

what caches were these?

Perhaps some of lacyndiesels up in the Abbot area are the ones being mentioned. Love the area and was thrilled to see them posted - regardless of film cannister or not. These made me go on many roads I had not taken! (Usually just use the main route straight through.)

I went with my daughter to do part of the series and finished it with Mainiac1957 and hiram357. Saw nothing wrong with the series and actually enjoyed it pushing us to tour the area.

There are other cool caches in the area but not a lot which are winter friendly. We did this with major snow in the area and believe me with the snow this was not just a film cannister park N grab (perhaps it is now).

If I wanted to limit my search - I would try cache size and select something for a size larger than a micro - and presume I would get bigger caches which would not be film cannisters.

@CARoperPhotography - if you have not cached in the Abbot area - download your PQs, put on your boots, pack your kayak, get out your gaters and head on up...........and if you go over Memorial Day weekend - visit the yardsale at VicBiker's house for the JD Foundation! And they have camping for cachers over the weekend - oh yes, bring your tent and pot luck!

Hollora, You are correct with the caches that I am talking about. This is a perfect example of why I would like to filter out some caches like this, I do not enjoy them but other cachers do. There is no need to say that the caches should not be published or banned. I just did not like them becuse the type of hide was similar over and over and each hide was at no significant landmark (other than that cool truck). I am certainly not against micros, I enjoy most micros. This is why a size filter would not work for me. I also like the easier caches, as long as they bring me somewhere neat or have a cool discription.