vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using log length to determine quality...

Default Using log length to determine quality...

Some cachers think that the length of cache logs in a cache help determine the quality of a cache. I can see where that makes some sense, perhaps it's more how good (or bad) a time the person had at the cache than the actual quality. If nothing more, it's a testament to how much the finders had to say about the cache for whatever reason.

Anyway, here is a list of the top 20 caches which have at least 5 found logs and which have the the longest average log lengths listed from #1 to #20. I am sure I do not have all logs in my database, so the accuracy is not 100%. Some good reading in many of them just the same!

Maine’s Alphanumeric Cache Challenge (GC1JJ38) by Northwoods Explorer (4.5/4.5)
    Maine's DeLorme Challenge (GCW8N6) by Team Teebow (Team2hunt) (5/5)
    Maine's Adventure Challenge (GC1VWN8) by Northwoods Explorer (5/5)
    WEREWOLF! (GC1QV1H) by Mapachi (2.5/3.5)
    Molechunkamunk: Cranberry Cove (GCWEBK) by paddlehikers (2.5/5)
    Molechunkamunk: Aziscoos Mt. (GCXJ2Y) by paddlehikers (1/4)
    PINOCCHIO'S CURSE" (GCZHGY) by hoamdezinahs (5/1.5)
    Sounds Easy To Me (GC1VFWZ) by brdad (3.5/3)
    Jim's Last Cache (GC1JJHY) by NorthCumberMouth Cachers (2/3.5)
    Debsconeag Ice Cave (GC108Y2) by Northwoods Explorer (4/4)
    Norton Farm Overlook (GCKQ30) by Ravengal (1/4)
    Beyond the grave (GC16Z0F) by 0din (2/3.5)
    Portland Freedom Trail (GC1A9Y0) by kayakerinme (1/1)
    Halfmile (GCH21C) by brdad (3/3.5)
    Border Frontier (GCGA4T) by Liasis et al. (4/4)
    Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog (GC1WRXQ) by Three Dog Night (2/5)
    The Agonizer (GC203TB) by Law1646 (4.5/2.5)
    Bessies Tale (GCW700) by LaughingTerry (1/1.5)
    Hothole Pond Cache (GC13QYB) by Groleau (2.5/5)
    Deathwish # 2 (GCXA1Q) by vicbiker (2/4)
    Last edited by brdad; 01-23-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Some cachers think that the length of cache logs in a cache help determine the quality of a cache. I can see where that makes some sense, perhaps it's more how good (or bad) a time the person had at the cache than the actual quality. If nothing more, it's a testament to how much the finders had to say about the cache for whatever reason.

Anyway, here is a list of the top 20 caches which have at least 5 found logs and which have the the longest average log lengths listed from #1 to #20. I am sure I do not have all logs in my database, so the accuracy is not 100%. Some good reading in many of them just the same!

Maine’s Alphanumeric Cache Challenge (GC1JJ38) by Northwoods Explorer (4.5/4.5)
    Maine's DeLorme Challenge (GCW8N6) by Team Teebow (Team2hunt) (5/5)
    Maine's Adventure Challenge (GC1VWN8) by Northwoods Explorer (5/5)
    WEREWOLF! (GC1QV1H) by Mapachi (2.5/3.5)
    Molechunkamunk: Cranberry Cove (GCWEBK) by paddlehikers (2.5/5)
    Molechunkamunk: Aziscoos Mt. (GCXJ2Y) by paddlehikers (1/4)
    PINOCCHIO'S CURSE" (GCZHGY) by hoamdezinahs (5/1.5)
    Sounds Easy To Me (GC1VFWZ) by brdad (3.5/3)
    Jim's Last Cache (GC1JJHY) by NorthCumberMouth Cachers (2/3.5)
    Debsconeag Ice Cave (GC108Y2) by Northwoods Explorer (4/4)
    Norton Farm Overlook (GCKQ30) by Ravengal (1/4)
    Beyond the grave (GC16Z0F) by 0din (2/3.5)
    Portland Freedom Trail (GC1A9Y0) by kayakerinme (1/1)
    Halfmile (GCH21C) by brdad (3/3.5)
    Border Frontier (GCGA4T) by Liasis et al. (4/4)
    Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog (GC1WRXQ) by Three Dog Night (2/5)
    The Agonizer (GC203TB) by Law1646 (4.5/2.5)
    Bessies Tale (GCW700) by LaughingTerry (1/1.5)
    Hothole Pond Cache (GC13QYB) by Groleau (2.5/5)
    Deathwish # 2 (GCXA1Q) by vicbiker (2/4)
    Maybe those caches are just attracting people who tend to write longer logs
    You should calculate it different way. First compute average log length for every user and then scale every cache log relatively to that user.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    You should calculate it different way. First compute average log length for every user and then scale every cache log relatively to that user.
    Yeah - doing this would support my position on writing logs. LOL!

There are several of those listed that require/encourage longer logs. The ones that list caches that have been done to complete a requirement and the ones that are such that a long elaboration is required (there are three or four on the list that fit that category) are hardly the types of logs your talking about.

I do think what you say has merit, but one needs to be careful about what caused the large log to be written. It it was a log that came about because it was indeed a memorable cache experience that actually happen then I say Great! My Delorme Challenge log is one like that. It is my longest log to date and most certainly my most memorable cache.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Yes, that would be a better way to calculate it. But for that to be effective, that would make it even more important to have all of the cache logs. Unfortunately, there is currently no easy way to do that without violating gc.com's terms. In fact, there have been several accounts warned and/or temporarily banned recently for mining too much data from the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    There are several of those listed that require/encourage longer logs. The ones that list caches that have been done to complete a requirement and the ones that are such that a long elaboration is required (there are three or four on the list that fit that category) are hardly the types of logs your talking about.
    Agreed, though many of the challenge caches inspire us to write more than we typically would. One would definitely not want to use log length alone to determine the quality of a cache. Although, a cache of lower quality (Or, less interesting stuff about the area or cache to talk about) would probably rarely produce long logs - Though I would not depend on that, either, which explains my not posting those that had the shortest logs.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-24-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Liars caches seem to contain the longest logs as they encourage you to write something that is special or funny or has nothing to do with the cache hide...lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Liars caches seem to contain the longest logs as they encourage you to write something that is special or funny or has nothing to do with the cache hide...lol
    That is a good point as well.

It would be interesting to know there are any key words or phrases that appear in logs where the finder has enjoyed finding it... "yet another spot I would not have known about if not for caching" or variations of it is probably a good phrase, but I have corrupted that system a few times by posting "Yet another guardrail I would not have known about if not for caching".

"If not for caching" appears in cache logs of 37 different caches in my database. Again, I do not begin to have every log - wish I did!
    Last edited by brdad; 01-25-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    That is a good point as well.

It would be interesting to know there are any key words or phrases that appear in logs where the finder has enjoyed finding it... "yet another spot I would not have known about if not for caching" or variations of it is probably a good phrase, but I have corrupted that system a few times by posting "Yet another guardrail I would not have known about if not for caching".

"If not for caching" appears in cache logs of 37 different caches in my database. Again, I do not begin to have every log - wish I did!
    You can use Bayesian Inference for this purpose, it works like magic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_inference

Moo

You can use Bayesian Inference for this purpose, it works like magic
    If I thought for a minute a person could determine how good a time he would have at a given cache by the logs, I might be inclined to try to understand that.

I'm kind of glad I'm convinced you can't determine it that way!
    Last edited by brdad; 01-25-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Bay What? That's a new one on me.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!