vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a cache near the two trains by Eagle Lake up north?

Find enough "railroad history" sites and I'll make a list of caches near them like The waterfall list.

I was thinking of making list of unique sites, but that list might grow too long - a list with 500 caches isn't very usable.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Where can I find the waterfall list?

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    Where can I find the waterfall list?
    It's on the main page in the articles list, under the subheading of caching lists.

But, since I am such an enabler, you can just click here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	articles.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	457  
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    This is a very popular spot for snowmobilers, kind of a destination as it's quite far from the nearest fuel stop. The first time I went to the "trains", as the locals call them, we set out from a camp on Chesuncook. I was riding a new Yamaha, a 800 longtrack with 46 inches of width on the skis, a whole lot less that the other five or six sleds. I was in the back as we crossed a non -ITS trail through the Caucmogomoc Bog, I got firmly wedged between two trees. The guys I was with thought that I must have stopped to take a picture, drink a beer, or something and never turned around. Try as I did, I was stuck big time and could not get the damned thing out. About two hours later, the gang returned from the trains. We had to take one of the skis off to get my sled out.

So on my first trip to the trains, I got a DNF! Next trip the trail was nice and wide...thankfully. It really is weird to see those two relics sitting where they are.
    Two hours? I think you need new riding buddies . . . or at least riding buddies with mirrors so they can check on you once in a while.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Riding buddies....

They guys I used to ride with are die hard crazies. For example, we headed up to Patten for the Log Drive Cookout one year. Left from camp at chesunkook. I don't pretend to know my way around so I usually ride in the back. So we made a wrong turn somewhere and end up in FORT KENT!!!!Of course we left camp at noon and got to Fort Kent at 5 AM the next day.

And God forbid you break down. They tow you to the nearest road and give you a beer and a knife, the knife to slit your throat if the coyotes come for you! Hard bunch, but consistent.

This is why I returned to downhill skiing!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    They guys I used to ride with are die hard crazies. For example, we headed up to Patten for the Log Drive Cookout one year. Left from camp at chesunkook. I don't pretend to know my way around so I usually ride in the back. So we made a wrong turn somewhere and end up in FORT KENT!!!!Of course we left camp at noon and got to Fort Kent at 5 AM the next day.

And God forbid you break down. They tow you to the nearest road and give you a beer and a knife, the knife to slit your throat if the coyotes come for you! Hard bunch, but consistent.

This is why I returned to downhill skiing!
    Hmmm . . . these guys sound a lot like my brother. His belief: it's not worth going out for a ride if you're not going to go over 100 miles . . . as for me, it's not about the miles, it's about the smiles.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I think that there are a lot of opportunities to place caches at historically significant locations along old railroad beds (other than those indiscriminately placed along a converted "rail trail).

We already have one cache (located at an abandoned railroad camp), but we could place more along the same route. (More incentive to get you "city folks" out in the woods! LOL!

And if anyone is actually involved in the railroad industry in Maine, please PM me - I have a question.
    Hey I worked for the MCRR for 10 years does that count? Was the last person to work at Bingham before they tore out the tracks to N. Anson
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    . . . as for me, it's not about the miles, it's about the smiles.
    nevermind... no comment... way to easy....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.