Everyone,

The reason the thread was started in the first place was, as Cano said the issue could not be solved privately. I had attempted to solve the issue "privately" for the better part of my entire caching career (since early Summer 2009) yet it only got worse with no replies from any of the parties to my inquiries.

Yes, this is a "private" site. This means that the moderators can end threads and censor topics. Is this ok? Yes. Is it good for the sport of Geocaching and for the Maine Geocaching Community? No it is not.

I would think that this site's intention and goal would be, to provide an open place for Geocachers to discuss OPENLY caches, and issues within the esoteric Geocaching society. Where else are we to discuss issues such as the one that I am currently attempting to resolve? We aren't supposed to post comments on actual cache listings on GC.com, and I have been told by Groundspeak not to EVER contact KEDS again regarding this issue. So, that rules out attempting to deal with the issue privately. So, Groundspeak has effectively neutered my ability to solve this issue, through diplomacy (which mind you, when I attempted over and over before, resulted in no dialogue since the parties involved refused to even respond to my messages).

Since I have begun Geocaching, I have been the one who has gotten dumped on ANONYMOUSLY by other cachers when one of my hides has pissed them off in some way shape or form. I highly dislike anonymous tattle tale activities. And so, I decided that since other cachers seem not to have the common decency to confront me personally and privately regarding an issue with my cache, I neither shall either. I shall do it publicly so ALL cachers will know of the issue with their cache.

I am not a spineless twit who will back down at the slightest perception of someone with "authority" in the 'Maine Geocaching Community' confronting me. Nor do I or will I lay down when confronted with inconsistencies with cache placements.

Let me give an example. Brdad, you mentioned in your post about the fictional anythinggoescaching.com site, that caches would now be allowed on bridges. Well, that would imply that caches are not allowed to be placed on bridges with GC.com's Guidelines. As I understand it, the guidelines are in place for that senario due to hightened homeland security and the possibility of increased or suspicious activity on a bridge which can lead to possible criminal issues. However, I know of MANY caches that are on bridges, some placed by very good friends of mine. Now, those caches were placed before the Groundspeak guidelines changed and made bridge cache placements 'illiegal'. However, as I understand it, those caches placed before the change of guidelines are 'grandfathered' and not subject to said guideline. Why is this? If it is a homeland security issue, and could involve law enforcement, then looking at the safety and security issue, I would think it would take precedent and force these 'grandfathered' caches to be removed. Yet, they are still in place. Should I start complaining to Groundspeak about this?

How about railroad tracks? I tried to place a cache in Thomaston, ME at the old Maine State Prison site over the summer and it was denied because it was under 150 feet in distance to an active railroad. I pleaded with the reviewer and finally had to drive to Thomaston and move my cache. No reasoning, privately and diplomatically would pull the reviewer out of his trench on this. However, since then I have come across NUMEROUS caches that have been published SINCE that issue that are WELL under the 150ft distance to an active railroad. Heck, two are even located on a trail system in Portland which require you to follow a trail across the railroad tracks, and you can see the tracks only 80 feet away from the cache site. I have taken note of all these caches but have not said a word to Groundspeak or the reviewer.

I think the problem with me, and my caching is that I am a person whom uses REASON to guide me in life, and unfortunately, rules, regulations, Guidelines, and people of authority are not based on REASON.

I am not going to back down on this issue. I could truly see my GC membership being cancelled by Groundspeak in the near future because I am putting up such a stink. I could also see myself being forcibly removed from geocachinginmaine.org due to this. I wouldn't put it past the 'respected members' of the Maine Geocaching Community who run this site to do so.

That being said, I want to thank brdad for allowing THIS thread to continue because it has in essence allowed my original thread to live another day.

I apologize that this posting is long and covers many topics, but I am not able to log onto the site throughout my work day and keep updated on the newest comment thread.