vb:literal>

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Closed Threads

Default Closed Threads

brdad
    Hands off my peavey!
    GC Name: brdad Posts: 3,479

This is not the venue for this type of conversation and IMO posting against the Geocaching Maine User Agreement.

Thread Closed
    Dave, I was disappointed to see the thread closed. I agree it is in violation of the user agreement, I cannot agree with Chadd's position and my opinion is that the original post should not have occurred. That said, I believe I had something to say that would contribute to the issue and perhaps enable the poster to see things in a different light.

I must also say, the volunteer moderators, at times, have to make a decision that serves the common good and you made that decision. I certainly cannot fault that. Being responsible often ticks off people!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I hear you. I did what I did based on fear that either Chad, Tom, or the owner of the cache posted would be overly criticized.

Anyone is welcome to start a new thread discussing any of the issues if they can just restrain from singling out people or caches. I understand his feeling on the cache first mentioned, I have been annoyed by similar caches in the past as well. But there is a better way to discuss it.

If you feel you cannot generalize and need to address the particular incident, you can do so personally by PM.
    Last edited by brdad; 02-02-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I hear you. I did what I did based on fear that either ... ... ... would be overly criticized.
    You could also justify closing most threads based on that same "POTENTIAL."

Didn't Ben Franklin say that, Giving up ones liberties thinking you are gaining security is a sure way to lose your freedom.

Seems that providing censorship in the guise of potentially protecting people is a sure way to lose our rights to say what we wish.

Yours is a hard decision for sure, Dave.

my 2 cents
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I can't agree that this being "censored". It's a private site that provides guidelines for posting and I am here by choice. Pretty straightforward. While I disagree with Dave's actions, I respect his decision and hope that he's uses the same good judgment in the future.

I'm not sure what other option Chadd has had since cache owner, publisher or groundspeak did not care to resolve this issue at all, but I'm sure with one thing, soon a new geocaching web sites without any censorship or any other restrictive practises will emerge.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You could also justify closing most threads based on that same "POTENTIAL."
    To solely close it based on what is feared to happen would be wrong, but as I stated in the thread the post was also against the Geocaching Maine User Agreement.

And again, anyone can start a new thread discussing about what to do about caches that are listed incorrectly or how many have been wronged by an approver, just don't single out those individuals or caches.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I'm not sure what other option Chadd has had since cache owner, publisher or groundspeak did not care to resolve this issue at all, but I'm sure with one thing, soon a new geocaching web sites without any censorship or any other restrictive practises will emerge.
    Be sure to check out the new anythinggoescaching.com site, where there are no restrictive practices or censorship. Hiders are now allowed to place caches on bridges, bury them in cemeteries, and there is no distance restriction, they can be placed on top of each other. You are allowed to booby trap your caches with flying knives and adult oriented trade items are encouraged, as is food. You are allowed to log any cache as often as you like, even if you don't find it. Oh yes, that sounds much better than the dictatorship known as gc.com.
    Last edited by brdad; 02-02-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    I can't agree that this being "censored". It's a private site that provides guidelines for posting and I am here by choice. Pretty straightforward. While I disagree with Dave's actions, I respect his decision and hope that he's uses the same good judgment in the future.
    Private site or not doesn't change the definition of censorship. The guidelines being referred to were not being specifically violated any more than the post for a person to visit a certain business. The word "fear" could be substituted for "potential" in the context it was used.

I agree that I am here by choice and IF GeocachingMaine.org wishes to take an official stance on an issue will determine IF I wish to visit or not.

My point wasn't a criticism as much as trying to determine where the "fine line" is actually being drawn. As pointed out, the moderator(s) do have a tough job in figuring out where that line is. I don't envy them.

Remember, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

This just points out that I was wrong as a teenager......I will need to know Latin as an adult.

TRF, lets agree to disagree on the finer points.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Remember, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    This just points out that I was wrong as a teenager......I will need to know Latin as an adult.

TRF, lets agree to disagree on the finer points.
    Fair enough.

Cache On!!

I considered posting a thread regarding the censorship imposed by brdad on my original thread, but thought I would wait.... so thank you TRF for posting this thread regardless of your personal opinion regarding the issue that my original thread was about.

I would have liked to have responded to the comments on that thread, but apparently some cachers, and Geocachinginmaine.org members have more pull than others, which allows them to get in what they have to say and then cut off all other postings afterwards.

I am not going to continue to argue my original point here, as I see it is pointless and I am outnumbered. However if any of you want to make specific comments, I will respond to them.

Hypocrisy and inconsistency seems to be at an all time high right now.