vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most memorable single Maine cache placed in 2009

Default Most memorable single Maine cache placed in 2009

The forms are a bit slow the past few days, yet a few people seemed to have fun commenting on the caches I listed in the do not reply thread, so I thought this up....

What is the one single Maine cache you have found of the 2110 caches that were placed in 2009 that was most memorable for you? Not necessarily the funnest or the toughest, but the one that you remember the most details about from the list of your finds.

Rules are:
    You can only pick one Maine cache and it has to have been placed in 2009. All cache types apply, including events. Do not list second or third or fourth etc. place caches.
    (For any members out of state, you are allowed to use a cache in your state)
    Last edited by brdad; 02-12-2010 at 07:04 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I have only found 24 of the 2110 Maine caches placed in 2009, So my pool of choices is small. Looking at the list almost all of them are what I'd consider to be worthy caches, but some of them just didn't make it into the old memory banks.

Anyway, my most memorable would have to be Joy to the World (GC1WRWB) by Three Dog Night (3/5). We had a great time kayaking to this mystery cache and the weather was great. A worthy and memorable cache.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

This is easy for me. 2009 Christmas Cache GC21WTC. This has got to be the best cache ever. All of the planning, work, expense and attendance to to visitors is something that can not be matched. Team Richards and Gobbler should be commended most highly. These people are something else. The best cache in 2009 by far.

I didn't get any cookies or hot Coco, even after telling them I would be there a few hours before I arrived, but I will over look that.

2009 Christmas Cache GC21WTC No question!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default memorable

Although there are many memorable ones for me out of the 300+ of these that I did, my most memorable has to be Medusa's Challange GC1YWVT .
    Never having cached by boat before, this one was an adventure both times I went...sure wished I could have been FTF, but so worth coming back...(Not sure why I come up with 2114 caches, but what's a few caches between friends?! ; )

I guess we really like those "out-of-the-way" caches - our most memorable was Island Hideaway by Will, GC1X996. It's so out of the way that we were FTF 12 days after it was published, and there have been only 2 finds (no DNFs). It was a hiking, kayaking, and planning adventure getting to this one!

Mummabear's Moose Island cache GC1ZGRG is my choice for so many reasons. Launching kayaks in the snow, winter kayaking on Moosehead Lake, being with Jon while he found his first FTF, and best of all caching with great friends.

It had to be one of those caches placed out on the back roads around Flagstaff Lake, while we attended the "Get Useless In Eustis II" event. They were all so great I can't pick one! ...........I wanna live up there! Jean, do you want to sell your place?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHorwich View Post
    (Not sure why I come up with 2114 caches, but what's a few caches between friends?! ; )
    I could have easily missed a few in my PQs if they were short lived, or possibly someone changed the placed date of a cache. I like to think I am as accurate as I can be. Care to compare notes?

Actually, check your PMs - no sense in me sidetracking my own thread.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I think my most memorable this year was Al Mumata's Cotchpinicut (
    GC21MFR) by Mapachi. I went out before sunlight the day after this was published. It was dark, cold and raining but I was determined to get my first FTF. I looked for about an hour out there and the only thing I found was an old Snoopy letterbox that I signed the log in but could never find online to log. I finally gave up and went to work. I logged a DNF along with a couple of other folks and Patrick reluctantly gave us all another hint, changed the difficulty and added an attribute. I showed up the next morning and ran into dblbogey11 and EMSDanel. We teamed up and started searching. We determined that it could not be where it said it was. dblbogey gave Patrick a call and he directed us to a ridge quite far from the gz. EMSDanel actually thought there was someone sleeping in that hut when we first came up on it. We searched for a while when dblbogey11 called out that he found it. It turned out to be about 250 feet away from where the coords pointed us. We had a good chuckle and I got to meet a couple of great cachers.

Default My favorite!

On Memorial Day Weekend, Di and I camped out with her son Ben, his wife Val, their 4 year old daughter, Cassie, and year and half old son Dalton.

We took them all caching a couple of times and did a lot of the easy caches on Route 27. Cassie seemed a bit bored with those so I opted to go after Wolf Cache Revisited-Wolfgang Wooly, GC1R2Q2, knowing a little bushwacking would be required.

This is just another fine placement by Kayaking Loon that amazed the group of new cachers, especially Cassie who thought wandering into moose habitat was "too cool!"

They've now started caching on their own. Introducing new cachers to the game with a quality hide like this sticks out in my mind as one of the best of '09.
    Last edited by dubord207; 02-12-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.