vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triton 1500

Default Triton 1500

I ordered a Triton 1500 and am wondering if it's as good as I am hoping it is? I'm new to geocaching and want to use it to get out more with the family. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by mw.1970 View Post
    I ordered a Triton 1500 and am wondering if it's as good as I am hoping it is? I'm new to geocaching and want to use it to get out more with the family. Thanks for your help!
    Sheesh! First of all it's a Magellan...

(Better get used to the Magellan bashing! LOL!)

Here's a review.

Hahaha,,, so I guess that's not a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by mw.1970 View Post
    Hahaha,,, so I guess that's not a good thing?
    The review sounds good... Looks like a nice unit, but it IS a Magellan...

Thanks for the link to the review by the way!

I've got a Magellan Triton 400 and once it's acquired the satellites it seems to do quite well. The key portion of that statement is "once it's acquired". My wife's Garmin seems to be up and running lightning fast by comparison. Once they're both booted and have the satellites well in hand, they both seem to have ups and downs that are inherent in all GPS units I've seen in operation thus far. Don't let the Magellan bashers get to you.

Default Triton?

You might find that in the long run a Garmin would have been a better choice. We're all trying to be supportive and hope you take to the game full tilt like a lot of us, but a lot of the software we use works best with Garmin products. Not sure what you paid for the Triton. You can compare prices on a lot of sites. I have bought several Garmins from Tiger.gps, and they sell them all so you can price shop. I know it would be a pain to send the Magellen back, but keep the box and everything that comes with it in case you decide you want to return it.

There are a "few" Magellen fans on this site but Garmin and the new DeLorme's seem to be the favorites.

Glad you came to this site, a place where a lot of your questions can get answered.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quite honestly I am a long time Magellan fan . . . but I am rather disappointed with their latest offerings.

As a cacher and outdoor enthusiast I want my GPSr to do one thing and do it well . . . to tell me where I am and where I need to go . . . OK, so maybe that's two things.

I am not a big fan of multi tools whether it be a Swiss army knife, Leatherman or what have you . . . in general I find that some things on multi tools work OK, but often the single tool works better (i.e. a screwdriver almost always works better than the screwdriver on a Leatherman or Swiss army knife.)

I think the idea of piling a whole bunch of stuff on to the Triton was unnecessary and ridiculous . . . OK, maybe I could buy into the idea of being able to record a message when I found a cache . . . maybe that would be convenient . . . and maybe, just maybe the LED flashlight might be useful for finding night caches . . . but a MP3 player . . . can't say as I have ever needed to have my own theme music playing while searching for a cache.

No, I am quite happy with my older Explorist210 and Meridian units . . . they do one thing and do it quite well (usually) . . . and usually when I can't find a cache or list the wrong coords for a hidden cache it's the operator's fault and not the unit.

Honestly, if I was to buy or recommend a GPSr unit right now, and someone had enough money to splurge, I would recommend the Garmin Oregon . . . very easy to use, excellent maps and even a long time Magellan user was able to figure out how to use it, navigate, search for caches, etc. within 5 or so minutes . . . which is saying something. However, truthfully, my older GPSrs work fine, and so for now I'll continue using them . . . along with a small notebook and pen for notes, a small flashlight in my pocket for night caches and I'll just go caching with Hiram for the "in flight" entertainment . . . word is . . . he is pretty good at singing most of Faith Hill's songs.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Just wanted to give my 2 cents...DeLorme pn-40 : )

I'm still pretty happy with my compass and topo maps....... Probably why I haven't broken 500.

Bottom line is: Have Fun!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.