vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested for stealing caches

I do not believe criminal charges can stick. You need to show that he took someone's property with the intent to deprive them of it.

In this case a strong case could be made that he believed the property to be abandoned. It was left unattended on public property. He could argue he was simply cleaning up the area of litter.

I anticipate the district attorney will drop this matter.

if he pleads that they should give him 400 hrs community service picking up trash on the highway! LOL

You better not trade down or you might be arrested
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    As a cop, I think it's awesome that they waited by the car for what is essentially a $10 theft. I'm hoping that the N.Y. court system will actually do something, because I'm here to assure you that Maine's would drop that case in a well, New York minute.
    I can hear the local DA now to the officer "......are you nuts?"
    Looking at it from another view, if I'm the responding officer and this guy has bolted, that's gonna peak my interest enough to hang around the car for a little bit. Wonder if the guy had anything outstanding?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

This is the area that I did a lot of caching in before I moved to Maine and the problem of missing caches goes back at least five years. Dozens and dozens went missing. Hopefully this will solve that problem.

Down here in MD were I am this week they are having a similar problem as well.

Thanks for the post and the information. Interesting to say the least.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    I do not believe criminal charges can stick. You need to show that he took someone's property with the intent to deprive them of it.

In this case a strong case could be made that he believed the property to be abandoned. It was left unattended on public property. He could argue he was simply cleaning up the area of litter.

I anticipate the district attorney will drop this matter.

I would argue that his behavior, running into the woods when hailed, hiding for a period of time, shows intent to deprive. It's hard to say what N.Y. law reads. You are right in that the D.A. would drop it here. The way the theft laws read, it would be hard to prove. Now if the complaintant reported the cache as stolen, and the police found it on the bad guy, we could charge him with Possession of Stolen Property. However, that would get dropped faster. It would be a lot of fun though!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default What I think might stick

The intent issue on a theft charge would be the kicker. A DA that went with Criminal Mischief could make that stick. Same crime category as theft, no intent required, just destruction or damage to another's property.

That puke needs to be brought before a judge!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Imagime what he's "muggling" from his job !!!!!!!!!

Food for trhought!!

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Imagime what he's "muggling" from his job !!!!!!!!!

Food for trhought!!
    He is also eating babies!

It's really interesting how everybody here exactly knows what this guy did base on what? One article written by someone who probably has absolutely no clue about geocaching? Wake up and get life! it's not 15 century, we don't do burning witches any more.
    Moo

I think Opalsns was just stating that if he is a thief in one aspect in his life, he most likely is in other areas as well. Most of us don't live double lives.

As far as burning of witches, I think it'd be great to return to some of the old fashioned punishments for these types of crimes. I'd vote in a heartbeat to bring public stocks back!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."