vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching statistics and your privacy

So, how do you run this app?
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

............too!

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    So, how do you run this app?
    there is no app I drew it in Cabri Geometry.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    If someone wants to keep their home location private, I suspect one might use a sock puppet account with not so correct data. There are many other places beside your profile page where folks can find your stats. Participation in geocaching has many public aspects to the game. If one is trying to remain totally anonymous perhaps this isn't the game for them. JMHO

The bottom line - with computers and the internet - depending on one's connections, background and technical ability - there is little which is truly private today. For me - anything with Geocaching is the tip of the iceburg.
    From an isp and IT background we should all remember that nothing we do on the internet is ever private and can be tracked back to you if the group that wants that info is willing to do the work or hire somone to get that info. I myself try to live by the idea that I do not do anything on the computer I would not do in public.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    do not do anything on the computer I would not do in public.

Haha, I bet there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsouth View Post
    Haha, I bet there is.
    So you are the one that has been tapping into the built in Webcam on my laptop?

Acctually that is my neighbor you are looking at

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    So you are the one that has been tapping into the built in Webcam on my laptop?

Oooh, those cams make me so paranoid. Especially after this incident with the school spying on the kids through the provided laptops. I would cover it somehow, but thats just me haha.

The school "spying" on kids, if I heard correctly, were instances where the computer was either reported stolen or not turned in when it was supposed to be. I'm thinking it was like a "lojack" system used by the school system. To me, I think that is a legitimate application for a laptop that belongs to the school system.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    The school "spying" on kids, if I heard correctly, were instances where the computer was either reported stolen or not turned in when it was supposed to be. I'm thinking it was like a "lojack" system used by the school system. To me, I think that is a legitimate application for a laptop that belongs to the school system.
    Oh I see, I guess I misinterpreted. I believe in that instance, using the camera like that is fine.

robt - you are so right!

It is just like - and hear it every day - will the State of Maine/Feds really know I am selling on line. Do I have to report that income, do I have to pay sales tax?

Up to the user.........but the information is hanging out there for anyone - including IRS and the State to capture.