vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching statistics and your privacy

Default Geocaching statistics and your privacy

Many geocachers including me enjoy posting their geocaching statistics to their profiles. Many don't realize it is possible to estimate their home location based on the statistics. Here is an estimate of my home location based on nearest cache found from my geocaching profile http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2807353/HomeEstSat.jpg
    Moo

Default I know where that is...

Isn't that the Penobscot County Jail?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Moo

Wink Cano's Home Base

Hey Dan.....it's not the Penobscot Jail. But it seems to be a fitting abode for Mickal/Cano- it's the Ronald McDonald House in Bangor (picture Cano with red hair, a red nose, and really big shoes). Then again, this spot may be only his launching point.... it's on the property of the Dorothia Dix Psychiatric Center - formally known as the Bangor Mental Health Institute.

Default That's cool!

You're right, Cano..That's my humble abode just left of the "box" the computer generated. But not a problem as I have a cache located about 60 feet from the chair I'm sitting in so I guess I remain an open book.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Wink Nice Maps

If someone wants to keep their home location private, I suspect one might use a sock puppet account with not so correct data. There are many other places beside your profile page where folks can find your stats. Participation in geocaching has many public aspects to the game. If one is trying to remain totally anonymous perhaps this isn't the game for them. JMHO

The bottom line - with computers and the internet - depending on one's connections, background and technical ability - there is little which is truly private today. For me - anything with Geocaching is the tip of the iceburg.

This is all based on the fact that you input your home location exactly where you live right? I have mine set roughly a mile from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsouth View Post
    This is all based on the fact that you input your home location exactly where you live right? I have mine set roughly a mile from my house.
    Prescisely the point of my post........with a sock puppet name or not, whatever.........and it surely would preclude one ever having an event on their property OR a cache there (with that in the description).

Everyone plays the game their own way, have their own issues and has their own reasons for what they do. I am ok with where I am at - it's up to everyone else if they are ok with what they do.............

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsouth View Post
    Me too, I don't live in Mental Health Institute, yet . This was meant for those who have.
    Moo

Vaniety license plates in parking lots are a give away.............